Help with Scaler 2 Modulation feature

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie regarding Scaler 2 and I am interested in using the Modulation feature to create a song bridge but I cannot find any comprehensive tutorials anywhere.

After choosing my initial chord progression I then select MODULATIONI in Scaler 2 and I can then see a Circle Of Fifths wheel and when I select a key to modulate too I am given two different SUGGESTED MODULATION PATHS.

Is Scaler 2 suggesting that both of these options are good options for Chord Progressions for my song Bridge or for a new section of my song? And I am supposed to simply copy the 5 suggested chords in the same order to create my new song part?

I would love to have everyone’s feedback and help with this. It would be great to know how to use the Modulation feature properly.

Many thanks.

A very good modulation video will be out sometime in the foreseeable future.

I know @davide puts out the best videos – It should be a good one!

That should answer all of your questions.

. . . . .

Yes, unfortunately until then follow yours ears, or perhaps find other videos online.

Food for thought: https://youtu.be/IuDdWd_9O0s?t=493

. . . . .

Two more: https://youtu.be/_CF-Po1b7Gk and https://youtu.be/dhXL3q7e-xc

Hope it helps… :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is my eternal problem, too. Waiting for @davide to add one of his epic videos (the best teacher).

1 Like

Thanks LivingEdge_Studios and Miki,

For your replies and video links. I hope @davide is reading this post and puts together a great modulation video using Scaler 2 which answers all my questions and helps others who are new to Scaler 2 like myself.

Is it possible to contact Plugin Boutique who sells Scaler 2 in case they have some tutorials for using this plugin?

Many thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Scaler actually has many ways to derive modulations. The best way to use it is to spend time learning basic modulation theory outside of Scaler. With that background the suggestions Scaler offers will will make more sense to you.

The best way to do this, imho, is to experiment and see what sounds good to you.

Try the suggested chords in a new Pattern and then follow that with music in the key you’ve modulated to. See if that works.

Try out different chords and you may find some interesting sounds. Some will work, some won’t.

I’d look at youtube. There are some expert Scaler users posting tips.

The modulation features in Scaler are extensive. I’ve been using it for a couple of months and still haven’t fully explored all the modulation options.

One quick modulation trick I like is to just use the same pattern simply transposed up by a Minor 3rd. It can be used effectively as an unprepared modulation, without preceding chords and often sounds nice.

Anyway, experimentation is, imho, the best way to do this.

Good luck.

It is possible to contact PB, sure…
but they would have nothing in
comparison to @davide, et al.

2 Likes

Hi 1stInversion,

Thanks for your excellent tips!

I am trying to learn a little bit more about modulation outside of Scaler 2 to give me a better understanding. And yes I understand that experimenting with different chords and letting my ears be the judge is the sensible thing to do.

It would be great to have a comprehensive tutorial on modulation for Scaler 2 though for newbies like myself.

Many thanks.

1 Like

Thanks yes I think I will wait for @davide to do his tutorial on Youtube.

You’re most welcome. I, too, look forward to any videos that may be posted on this topic.

One of the things about Modulation is that a modulation may only be for a chord or two – a song may simply hint at another key, but does not fully modulate into that Key. The Model Interchange Modulations will give you lots of interesting chords for that kind of sound.

Remember, too, on the Circle of Fifths, Keys close to each other on the circle are closely related. C Major and F Major only have on note different. The same is true for C Major and G Major and it goes from there.

736-2514 is “Bach’s Telephone Number.” :wink:

1 Like

Thanks 1stInversion for more excellent tips about modulation.

I am aware of the Circle of fifths but I suppose like a lot of newbies even though I understand which keys to modulate too (the closest keys to C Major like F and G are the simplest) once I get to that key I struggle with what chords to put together for the chord progression in the new key so that the new chord progression in the modulated key works well with the original chord progression in the original key. I want to create two chord progressions the one in the original key and the one in the new modulated key that sound as if they were meant for each other and feel like harmonically they are a part of the same song just different sections.

My main aim with modulation is to create different song parts like a song bridge or a pre-chorus which I know can both benefit from modulations as it gives new sonic and harmonic energy.

This is why I purchased Scaler 2 for that very reason but very often the Modulated chord progression recommended by Scaler 2 does not seem to go with my original chords.

I look forward to any Scaler 2 tutorials including @davide on Youtube hopefully soon so I can learn more about song modulations.

1 Like

The best modulations are often the ones you don’t notice, unless you want a dramatic effect. There’s so much theory on this. Alan Belkin on youtube has excellent Classical music theory videos. He goes from basic to very advanced. There’s tons of other videos on basic stuff, but Dr. Belkin is really great for all aspects of music, harmony, melody, orchestration, composition, etc. .A grounding in “that stuff” is important for anyone trying to “learn Scaler.” :slight_smile:

For me, it does all come down to what you can actually hear and learn to hear better. Make a list of songs that have what you think are chords or modulations similar to the ones you’d like to use. All the pros talk about the importance of transcription and I concur with them on that completely. Try to figure out the chords by ear.

Here’s one workflow I’ve been using with three instances of Scaler.

The first is the Master which contains the primary Patterns.
The second is called “Modulation” this contains the “pathway chords” to the next section.
The third instance is usually called, “chorus” or “B Section.”

With this set-up, I have the start of the piece in the Master instance, then, a Scaler just for modulation. This lets me try different chords in a more organized way.
The Third and subsequent instances contain whatever comes next.

This may not be the best way to do it and it is certainly not the only way. It’s a workflow I’ve been trying and it seems to help keep Projects organized.

Take care.

3 Likes

Thanks 1stInversion,

This information is very helpful to me. I have looked at Modulation tutorials on Youtube but I will certainly look at the ones by Alan Belkin as it comes so highly recommended by you. And I agree it makes sense to learn about modulation so that you can apply it more successfully when using Scaler 2.

When composing songs I can usually come up with the verses and choruses at the beginning and sometimes a good pre-chorus but its the bridges I usually struggle with but your workflow is certainly something that I would use.

I think I might also look at some well known songs to see how they have composed their modulations to give me a better idea of what is possible and how pop song modulations are normally done.

Many thanks for all your advice.

Stay safe.

1 Like