Help with using Scaler 2.5 with Native Instruments guitars

Hello, everyone. I’m completely new with the software and have seen countless tutorials on YouTube. However, I have a problem: I’m trying to use Scaler with NI guitar plugins (acoustic, strummed, electric vintage or sunburst) but when I bind the chords to keys, I’m not getting the different chords. Instead, I’m getting some of the chords and many of the wood tapping or muting sound effects that NI used in key switches, or sometimes the same chord sounds for different chord names on Scaler. Really strange. How can I get my, for example Electric Sunburst to just play the chords im binding on Scaler?

Im sorry if my question is obvious. I looked for answers in other posts and YouTube videos but can’t seem to find it.

Thank you to anyone who can help me out. I love the software but am a bit let down that I cannot make it do what it’s able to obviously do perfectly well using, for example, normal Native Instruments pianos or Arturia synths. The VSTs with key switches don’t “just work” like the others when binding the keys.

By the way, I’m using Logic.

1 Like

Welcome to the board, @Hochmann !
Quite a few experienced NI geetar folk here (I’ve got ‘Picked acoustic’’, but haven’t got round to getting in to it deeply), so I’m sure they will soon chip in as the Christmas stupor wears off … @Jamie and @bernd are both NI users and I’m sure will provide a steer.

1 Like

You need to stop the notes that are sending below C2 because those are Triggering the key switches. You should set the Dynamic range for Scaler to Guitar voicing. Logic should have a MIDI fx filter to filter out the notes below C2. I’ll send screen shots when I get back to my computer.

1 Like

Thank you! That would be most helpful :relaxed:

Thank you very much!

Here are some screen shots. If you don’t want to use the built in NI patterns but use Scaler Patterns you should use the NI instrument marked Melody. If you want the NI Instrument patterns use the main instrument.
In Scaler set the voice grouping to one of the guitar voice settings.
Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 8.57.28 AM
You need to avoid the NI Key switch area. I use a note filter to filter out the notes from Scaler going into NI Guitar below C2 which on Nylon Guitar is the first playable note and I think that is consistent on all their guitars.
Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 8.39.00 AM
Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 8.38.42 AM
The tricky part is if you want to use those switches to use the various options there. It would be nice if NI allowed you to change the key switch notes to something else. I usually have to get all my patterns rendered to MIDI, edit any notes in that range and then add key switching back in.
There should be a note filter in Logic MIDI FX or the transform environment. For Non Logic DAWs there is the free MIDI Polysher VST eaReckon - FREEBIES

3 Likes

Thank you very much! I’m going to try out :relaxed: again, thanks for taking the time to help me out!

Thank you so much! This was very helpful in getting me started as well=) Only issue I have now is when I try to use strummed patterns. NI does seem to get the chord inputs from Scaler when key switch is set to a strum pattern example G1 but works fine for picked patterns. Are there any settings I need to change in Scaler or Picked Acoustic? Thank you in advance!