Hollywood OPUS Orchestrator

The Hollywood Opus library will be available soon and this video shows the Orchestrator which was designed in collaboration with Sonuscore.
The way the chords splits and the Ostinatos, arpeggios, etc. work, I could see Scaler doing some of this someday. Imagine playing chords in Scaler and having the top note go to one location the middle notes to another and the low to another. That would be astounding.
Check it out here — OPUS ORCHESTRATOR

4 Likes

I would love to see some form of creating your own arpeggios and ostinatos in Scaler like in the above orchestrator.

1 Like

I suspect it would be possible to route notes by pitch to different locations using MIDI Translator Pro | Bome Software , which I got to pick up sysex from my newly refurbed JD-800, and am just getting to grips with. It was used by Ableton in Push development.
I’ll give it a try.
If you haven’t already tried it, you can have the BBC Symphony Orchestra playing for you for nothing, which uses splits for different sections - it’s free
BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover
If you want to know what this will do, check it out in action with maestro Jordan Rudess (“all hail Dream Theatre”) at Jordan Rudess plays Unify + DiscoverStation for the 1st Time (WOW!) - YouTube
Wow!, is I can say to that.

1 Like

Thank you for the info. I have BBC Discover as well as many orchestral libraries I’ve collected over the years. I have East West Gold for Play which is the pre cursor to Opus.
Divisimate and Opus Orchestrator have the exact elements for Divisi but Divisimate is $200. Too much for me.
I was mainly looking to show that there are some new things coming out there that would be cool if adapted in some way by Scaler. David has hinted that Divisi is coming I think, so that could be cool.
Cheers,
Jamie

This is great software and thanks for sharing. We are indeed thinking this way and beyond for the future of Scaler and in a way much of the content we make now will apply. I’m personally very excited about the possibilities and permutations that a future iteration of Scaler will allow.

5 Likes

Outstanding! Looking forward to the future!

i believe we can use UNIFY with its midibox to generate that kind of patterns

1 Like

I own Divisimate but have to say using it is fiddly and even though it has some orchestration aspects in its transpose options its cumbersome to use as a separate app - even when using the iPad app with it. I mean Divisimate is great for what it solves but id rather have its functionality incorporated into something like chowder - or unify - or even a future OPUS ORCHESTRATOR - which although buggy and iffy - sounds glorious and kind of points the way forward.

So there are two aspects to what Hollywood Orchestrator/Sonuscore engine does.

The first is auto mapping of the individual notes in a chord to various instruments in an intelligent way, so you can play a chord and have it voiced among the string section, brass or whatever. I have already put in a request for this here:

The second thing Hollywood/Sonuscore does is act like a multichannel phrase arpeggiator: rather than playing block chords it can play rhythms a melodies using the notes of the chord. And the phrase being played on each of the 15 midi channels it uses can be different. It also allows for drum rhythms to be programmed operating in sync with the melodic parts.

As it stands Scaler 2.4 isn’t really set up to control more than one instrument at a time. Although multiple instances can be used it is not really designed with multiple voices in mind.

I agree this functionality would be great to have. If you want instant gratification as it stands, you can point scaler’s midi output to Hollywood Orchestrator. And Hollywood orchestrator does output the midi it sends to each of the 15 instruments on individual channels. So you could mute the East-West sounds and use other sample libraries with a bit of effort.

I’m have had some email interaction with the developer of Phrasebox, which has quite a lot in common with how Hollywood Orchestrator works, and a multichannel version of that product is definitely on his horizon.

Malcolm

Did you ever figure out if it was possible to route notes in a chord by pitch using MIDI Translator Pro? If so, it would effectively do what Divisimate does!

Coincidentally, I have just been looking again at Bome MTP to convert sysex from the many sliders on my Roland JD800 to Midi CCs.
In parallel, I will shortly upload a video about simple pitch splitting ideas, using midi effect chains, but that’s a trivial example.

I think it’s true say that Bome MTP is what computer buffs would call a ‘bare metal’ tool. It has a quite steep learning curve and requires some experience of rules / software techniques.
Could it do what Divisimate does ? Maybe - it’s a midi programming language - but it would IMHO be operationally inferior and be hard to justify the significant effort given Divisimate is less than £200.

Si I think the answer to the question, after some investigation as to whether Bome could replicate Divisimate is that FAPP - no.

Hello. I understand that in any discussion alternatives to the product in question are proposed, and it is true that I have been thinking about buying Divisimate for some time. It seems like a good (or maybe a very good) orchestral tool to me. I also find it good to learn to orchestrate. Their learning curve is long or short depending on the previous knowledge that each one has on organology (fundamentally on the basic registers of the instruments). In the same way that Scaler allows us to make chord progressions without having any idea of ​​the fundamentals of harmony, divisimate will allow us to orchestrate those chords. All are good helps to compose better and faster, that is clear and I welcome everything that can simplify the work, of course.
But I want to remember that the beginning and title of this thread was “Hollywood OPUS Orchestrator”
About Hollywood OPUS Orchestrator I have to say as a user that it is great. I liked it when it appeared and took advantage of a great deal for music students and teachers (€ 10 / month) to subscribe to CloudComposer, which includes all EastWest libraries (apart from Hollywood OPUS Orchestrator, up to 1TB of great sound libraries).
Hollywood OPUS Orchestrator, with its preset presets (user-editable, arpeggiated, leadings and octaves included) allows you to separate the incoming midi into various instruments that can then be triggered to other tracks, depending on which DAW you work on: neither Ableton nor Reason can. allows, but Reaper, for example, yes, letting me also export all the resulting midi tracks in separate midi format that I can take to a score editor perfectly. I am very satisfied with having decided to take that subscription. And I am not propagandizing. I simply express my satisfaction and I recommend this product to you.

1 Like

Hello. Regarding Bome MIDI Translator Pro - I use this software for many years.
Do you just need a Translator that will route to different MIDI Channels and/or Ports depending on what Note # is incoming? This is easy fix.

Learning curve for Bome is not difficult as drop down boxes make simple tasks like rerouting data based on incoming MIDI Note # a point and click. Logic functions and maths are more fun. New they add conditional routing but I have not used yet because I have no need. Support for Bome is fast and excellent.

I am get to test my script on this. It has many translators. I do not do this split of MIDI notes with usual but it sounds like fun.

Init file asks for:

• Incoming MIDI Channel
  • Inclusion of CC, channel messages (polyphonic pressure, pitch bend), etc with option to send to all destinations, swallow/do not transmit, or send to original only. two byte messages also (program change & channel pressure)

There are ten possible destinations (port & channel), so after Init translator there are 10 because destinations can be different Port with option to set to Channel 0 to null destination. Also separate translator for 3 byte and 2 byte message

Each destination has:

• Low Note Number (inclusive)
  • High Note Number (inclusive)
  • Transpose (if desired)
  • Destination Channel
    in the Init file.

It uses most reacent added global variables (v1.9.0) in case you have Bome script all ready.
Each Destination will need have translator because Port may vary. I can write smaller code if all port the same.

If no one mention in terest in this I will be quiet.
If someone wants script maybe I start new thread in case someone who use might need adjustments.
You will be able to run script without purchasing MTP I think since my script will be signed but may not be able to edit I think which is bad because edit of init file necessary

Hi Lizard Queen. I would be happy to test this for you and would potentially find it useful, particulalrly if it can be done without having to purchase midi translator pro!

I have been experiementing with using venomode phrasebox to achieve something similar, as it can send the notes of a chord oput on different midi channels.

Davide - can I ask what the plans and status of a ‘multichannel’ and multiphrase version of scaler is/are?

As I mentioned previously, I have had some email interaction with the developers at Venomode who has produced a tool called phrasebox (see Venomode | Phrasebox if you are not aware of it). I wondered if there could be a potential synergy in you guys working together. Scaler brings building the underlying chord porgression to the party, while a multi-instrument version of phrasebox would bring the ability to do the orchestration and phrase playing part. I am sure there are great things you could come up together given how good the performance phrases are already in Scaler. Just a thought.

1 Like

Hi Barza, I think Scaler should handle Divisi internally so it works within our ecosystem natively. That way we could have some form of user malleability. We are working on this and being more compatible with libraries such as Opus & BBC Spitfire is an important part of Scaler.

6 Likes

That would be awesome. I’ve got BBCSO core last month along with Corestation for Unify and already having a blast “as is” but watching a few youtube vids from i believe 41 fingas with divisimate is showing even more potential!

1 Like

“We are absolutely thrilled to announce that Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition has won the 37th Annual NAMM TEC Award for Best Musical Instrument Software! Considered the ‘GRAMMY’ of the pro audio industry, the TEC Award recognizes outstanding technical achievement and innovation. This comes off the heels of Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition also winning the 2022 Sound on Sound Award for Best Software Instrument. It’s the first time in history a product has won both awards in the same year! We want to thank everyone who voted for this incredible product”.
Soundsonline News June 8th 2022 (today)
Of course I voted for Hollywood Orchestra Opus Edition. In addition, the customer service is also incredible. If you have a problem, send a message for help today, and you may get a response right away. Opus Orchestrator and its almost instantaneous Divisi functions are a real joy. I am delighted with my SoundComposer subscription. Last month I upgraded it to Diamond (€1/month extra), and listening to the instruments with 4 microphones instead of 2 is like hearing them live

1 Like

seems like a great program. the sounds are not compromised.