How to open xml files?

Hello

Can someone explain to me how to open these xml files ?
Thanks

xml files are text filesā€¦ any text editor.

if you want more information, for this kind of file or any other kind, go here

Thank you. I will check that out.

Thanks

Warning ā€¦ slight ā€œGeek speakā€ here

An XML file contains an ā€œinstanceā€ of data, just like one record in a database. Itā€™s useful to determine the ā€œschemaā€ which defines the ā€œmetadataā€ (i.e. data about data); this is more generally useful than a particular one shot record. Schema files have the extension ā€œXSDā€, although they are of XML format.

I back engineered the XSD schema from the XML instance of a state dump. If you want me to post it I am happy to do so. [Bearing in mine that you can only partially back engineer, as you cant deduce all the information from an instance XML]

If you are really anal, then their is a related technology ā€œXSLTā€, which enables you to extract, transform, and otherwise manipulate a file of XML instances, but itā€™s more complicated to get to know.

Yorkeman

Are you asking about the ones for Scaler? You can import them into Scaler and they contain the session data. Not sure if thatā€™s what you mean. They canā€™t be used by anything except for Scaler.

How do you get them into Scaler2 so theyā€™ll play. I need to load Prism3. The provided instructions donā€™t work Thnx

Iā€™m not familiar with Prisms 3.
Assuming you are referring to a Scaler ā€˜state fileā€™, they can be loaded into Scaler by right clicking on the logo (top left) and selecting ā€˜Import stateā€™. Select the file, and loading it will return Scaler to whatever state it was in when the file was originally saved.

If itā€™s a ā€˜chord setā€™ then use the drop down marked ā€˜userā€™ and load the relevant set. These are also in XML format.

I suspect that the problem will lie with the chord set and not with Scaler. To test that, create a chord progression and then save a chord set. if you can recover it, Scaler is working, and itā€™s likely to be Prisms.

NB you can open chord sets in Notepad to check them.

Thnx for your suggestion, unfortunately yours and the 7 other have not worked. Prisms3 is in XML format and are a series of chords. Their install instr: HD/Users/Shared/Pluginbouquet/Scaler2/Sets/Prisms3/filesā€¦then on Scaler2/Open ā€˜Usersā€™ dropdown/, clk on Open Folder/ā€¦clk on the folder, and then scroll through the files. Iā€™ve tried several different locations with the Prisms3 folder, nothing works.
re: ā€œTo test that, create a chord progression and then save a chord set.ā€
This could be a related issue: I created a 4 chord pattern. Hit ā€œSaveā€/type in xxxx/save indv./clk OK, nothing/clk replace existing Ok/ nothing/ overide, choose existing chordset Ok/ nothing ā€¦Scaler 2.4.1 will not ā€˜Saveā€™ on the version I downloaded off the PluginBoutique websiteā€¦Truthfully, Iā€™ve never seen anything this convoluted since I spent 2 full days loading 11 expansions into Vengeance Avenger, WHEW! If anybody has gotten Scaler 2.4.1 to save a pattern/group of chords/setsā€¦ORā€¦has imported a 3rd party XML file successfullyā€¦then please by all means send me your good mojo, I desperately need it!!! As you can see by my frustration with Scaler 2.4.1ā€¦ Iā€™m ever so close to start drinkinā€™, womanizinā€™ & cheatinā€™ on my taxes (again)ā€¦So fellow Scalers; lend me your ears, lend me your knowledge, lend me your leaf blower ā€¦we have a plugin to fix! ā€¦Jed411/

Hi

Iā€™ve just done a test by saving a Scaler State and restoring it, and then creating and saving chord sets and restoring them. It all works as expected and took me seconds to do.

Hereā€™s the file I just saved, in the designated location (you can set that to be anywhere)

and the correct content

"we have a plugin to fix! "
Scaler has a larger number of users and saving and restoring sets is a common activity, and there have been no reported problems with the function. The plugin is not broken.

So to discover where your problem lies (and clearly you do have an issue) two things have to be eliminated as a potential cause.

Firstly , can you post your operating environment (a) Win or Mac and the (b) DAW or VST container itā€™s running in

Secondly, forget Prisms altogether, as to diagnose the issue itā€™s best to deal with one thing at a time. So if it is a Scaler issue, then donā€™t complicate matters by loading Prisms data ; see if you can save and restore sets within Scaler without Prisms. If that works, itā€™s a problem with the Prisms data. If it doesnā€™t, itā€™s a Scaler issue. If there is a problem, then itā€™s likely to be ā€˜environmentalā€™ as any fundamental bug with this function would have been found a long time ago.

If you want to mail me a single Prisms chord set to jed411@kungfu-panda.org and Iā€™ll see if it loads here.

It looks like you are on a Mac since you have the Shared folder hierarchy. Scaler doesnā€™t seem to see any folders that it does not make, at least on my Mac. I would try this ā€” On the Scaler logo upper left Right+Click on it and choose ā€œImport Stateā€. Navigate to the Prisms 3 Folder. You should then be able to see the chord xml files. Choose one, ideally one that has the word Session in the name if that exists, if not session then pattern.
You should then see the chords show up in Scaler.
If that works then choose SAVE on the lower right of Scaler - Name it Prisms 3 Chords.
Now you should see it in the sets folder. You could try copying some of the Prism chords into that and see if they show up.

Thank you all for coming to my rescue. Iā€™ve already been down this hiway with everyoneā€™s suggestion as far back as last Fridayā€¦ and I believe everyone of you when you say ā€œit works for meā€
'or it should work." I really think the issue is with Scaler 2.4.1 and Logic X 10.4.2. Here me out: On my system: On Scaler, (1) the ā€œUserā€ drop down will open. ā€œImport Chord Setsā€ Will open. Iā€™ll select the XML file I want. It doesnā€™t appear on Scaler. I ā€œRefesh Listā€ still nothing. (2) ā€œUserā€ drop down. I select ā€œOpen Folderā€ Nothing happens, I am not directed to any folderā€¦nothingā€¦Every other plugin I have directs me on what folder I want ā€¦To me this is broken! (3) I have no way to know whether ā€œRefresh Listā€ works or not. Regarding ā€œImported Stateā€ or ā€œExport Stateā€: I was able to take the long way around the block and bring in a midi file into Scaler. ā€œExport Stateā€ to a folder of my choice. Then brought the file back into Scaler through ā€œImport Stateā€ as an XML file and it works fine. Nothing through the ā€œUserā€ drop down works. To go through that process for hundreds of midi files is nuts, if you live to be 71 yrs. old youā€™ll understand why! The other issue Iā€™m having with Scaler 2.4.1/Logic X 10.4.2. is I canā€™t ā€œsaveā€ anything. Iā€™ve watched every video Scaler has provided plus other users (on Youtube). Iā€™ve had 7 people (now 9) offer a resolution. Iā€™ve yet to find anyone with Scaler 2.4.1/ Logic X 10.4.2/Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 ā€¦(or any close combination) Every single person whose has weighted in has a PC or their DAW is FL or Ableton. I think something is fishy with the (A) ā€œOpen Folderā€ drop down (doesnā€™t open) and the fact (B) I canā€™t save anything (I click ā€˜saveā€™ nothing happens so I click 'cancel). Iā€™ve reinstalled 4 times from PluginBoutique. I wish I could try another way to install it, then I could at least rule out a download bug when installing Scaler. Could my issue be in the license? Is this a 64 bit only plugin? Does Scaler not recognize 3rd party XML files? Being so old, should I just throw in the towel and enter a care facility because senility has finally caught up with me? Or should I wait a few days and maybe some young 14 yr. old whippersnapper can tell me why I canā€™t save a pattern/chordset or open a folder named ā€œOpen Folder.ā€
Again, I want to thank everyone for replying, it means alot. ~Jed411/

1 Like

Maybe you can clarify some things. BTW I am in your age bracket an use Scaler every day on 10.13.6 and all is fine. I am trying this out in Logic 10.4.8
First - Do you have anything at all in the USER folder?
When you go to Preferences>Chord Sets Location ā€” Do you see a folder path? Where is that folder?
It should be in your Shared Folder.

Scaler does recognize 3rd Party XML files. Can you (zip a folder containing one set of Prisms3 chords) and E-mail them to me at jamiehaggerty at mac dot com so I can test them. I donā€™t want to spend $30 for just a quick test.
If you click on the Scaler logo in the upper left of the GUI and choose Registration, do you see that it is registered to you?
Thanks for helping if you can to solve this little snafu.

[ADDENDUM] If I try and use IMPORT CHORD SET(S) under the User pulldown nothing shows up in mine either. But if you Import under either the Gear icon on the upper right>SESSION>IMPORT STATE
or right click on the Logo on the upper left IMPORT STATE it should work. You would then have to save this for it to be under the USER sets.

I GOT IT TO WORK!!!
jamieh, yorkeman and the countless others who participated in this extravaganza, thank you so much. Every single idea that was suggested, I tried & tried & triedā€¦Nada! Iā€™m grateful. Iā€™m exhausted and Iā€™m defeated. I played on my first record in 1965ā€¦got my Masters in composition in 1972. Did road work, MDā€™d acts, live sound, jingles, made records, scored, orchestrated and arranged just like many of you that have been in the trenchesā€¦so I do know which end of an oboe to blow intoā€¦then came the update from 1.8 to 2.4.1ā€¦ and for the last week Scaler 2.4.1 has been like taking the hole out of a donut!
I really appreciate everyone of you investing your time with my silly issue, what a GREAT community and a Great group of people. For those of you that sent snapshots, videos, code etcā€¦wowā€¦thatā€™s really beyond the call of duty. Those of you that sent nude selfies, (please send more!)
Youā€™re probably wondering just exactly how I did resolve the issue and are waiting with bated breath to find out, amirite? ā€¦And to share my infinite wisdom so that others can learn from it in the event the gremlins of 1ā€™s & 0ā€™s come chasing them into a corner.
Are you ready? Are you sitting down? Did I actually figure it out on my own? ā€¦Orā€¦did I stumble on itā€¦HELL NOOOOOOO!!!
I did exactly what any old fart would do in the twilight of their career, I bought Scaler Again!!! YESā€¦another $59.00 USD. I dumped the creepy version and Within minutes I was up and running. I can now ā€œSaveā€ ā€¦open the ā€œOpen Folderā€ ā€¦and all my XML files load and now play back flawlessly. Yeah Baby! Thatā€™s how I did it, a bit costly, but the beast now works like good old 1.8. So just as I suspected, something was goofy in my other version of Scaler 2.4.1 ā€¦So the lesson is, if you get a flat tire, itā€™s best to buy a brand new car than to repair the tire or buy a new set. Yes again Kemosabe, a smidge costly, but it works. Honestly, Iā€™m really looking forward to Scaler 3.0, 6.0 & even 59.7.3.456.8.11.387 ā€¦Iā€™m certain it will be loaded with countless challenges for me ā€¦well anyway saddle pals, thanks again to all of you ā€œLoyal Scalersā€ for responding. ~jed411/

Good for you! Iā€™m sure a simple reinstall would have done it or redownload the installer again but there you go. Thatā€™s why I wanted to know if the file path was there for the sets folder. Is Prism 3 working now?

HI jamieh: Thnx for getting back to me with your input. I had already done 4 uninstalls & 4 installs prior to joining the forumā€¦also had talked to 7 people of which 2 had Scaler 2.4.1 working flawlesslyā€¦one of them came to my studio with their laptop and we went folder per folder, path per pathā€¦ reboot, reload, restart blah blah blahā€¦ Scaler 2.4.1 just wouldnā€™t load any XML files, load any of the midi files (I saved as XML files) and the ā€œUserā€ drop down menu ā€œOpen Folderā€ would not open. I put a Prisms3 file on his laptop, it worked perfect. So something was wonky with Scaler 2.4.1 and I was tired of dealing with it. A quick purchase was all it took. Yes Prisms3 works perfectly as well as the several dozens of other files I have. Logic X & Prisms3 werenā€™t the culpritā€¦it must have been between Scaler 2.4.1 & my Mac. Anyway, Iā€™m rockinā€™ā€¦ Thanks again to you and every one else who jumped in with ideas. ~jed411/

cool!
another slang learnt
thanks
:crazy_face: :grinning: