How to Use with Studio One

Sorry, I am an old dog (72) trying to learn new tricks. I use Studio One as my DAW. How do I use Scaler with Studio One to add chord progressions? Thank you

1 Like

I can assure you that there are even older dogs on here, (e.g. yours truly) so you are not alone. Bedtime here, but someone will chip in shortly on Studio One, as there are many users here.

There are several types of optimal workflow depending on your goals. I suggest that you look at the many excellent videos done by the Scaler team, especially those done by Davide Carbone.

Maybe start with this Scaler 2 - Complete Overview - YouTube and then pick up on videos on interest, but in particular the 2.5 updates

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=scaler+2.5+update

The great thing about ā€œour eraā€ is that we got to hear all those iconic groups - now legends - when they were first aroundā€¦

ā€¦ and the appearance of the mini-skirt
ā€¦and birth control
:grinning:

Thank you, friend. By 1966 the songs of the late fifties were already called oldies.

Welcome Edward

Iā€™m also a Studio One user, albeit a bit of a novice one. Since S1 does not support midi effects directly, there are a couple routing items to be aware of when driving external instruments. Other than that, Scaler plays very well with Studio One.

Are you having trouble getting sounds out of Scaler? If so, can walk through some of the routing stuff.

Otherwise, if you are playing Scaler and just need to know some of its potential workflows, @Yorkermanā€™s suggestions are spot on. @davide has some great content out there.

Keep us posted

Hi Marioeddie,

This is how I use it and it works for me. Maybe it will work for you.

Scaler 2.5 Workflow Process for Studio One 5.5
Creating

1. Create a scaler track
  2. Develop chord pattern
  3. Pack a Folder and rename it ā€œScalerā€
  4. Move scaler chord track (created in step 1) to the Scaler folder
  5. Rename it say ā€œChordsā€
  6. Add a VST on another track (add any instrument you want rename the track to whatever you want)
  7. Change the input of the VST track to the first scaler track (typically Scaler 2)

Adding Other tracks
8. In the Scaler folder create a duplicate track* using the first Scaler track called ā€œChordsā€

NOTE: * important to duplicate the track not create a new scaler track!

1. Repeat for all other scaler tracks**

NOTE:** Typically in Studio one duplicates will be named Scaler 2(2), Scaler 2(3), Scaler 2(4) etc. These are your additional tracks for each instrument (Chords, bass, melody)

Recording

1. For each VST track make sure the track is being fed by the appropriate Scaler track (i.e. Scaler 2(2), Scaler 2(3), Scaler 2(4)) for the appropriate track

2. Enable recording on the track you wish to record and hit record the appropriate Scaler track (i.e. Scaler 2(2), Scaler 2(3), Scaler 2(4)) will feed your VST track and record the instrument track.
    NOTE: If you want to play scaler and record at the same time make sure the monitoring is enabled on the scaler track. When you hit record and play the scaler track it will record the track and you will hear what Scaler is feeding the recording track.

Hopefully this will help. It took me a long time to get it right. I canā€™t tell you how many ā€œDavidā€ videos I have seen. But this is the only thing that works for me.

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks
Tony

1 Like

Hi All,

Iā€™m new to Scaler and a Studio One user and came upon this thread. Iā€™m currently working through the course on School of Synthesis (Iā€™m almost 3/4 done) and decided to try my hand at creating a track with what Iā€™ve learned. I tried following these steps and created one Scaler track with chords then duplicated it and used the same chords and did a melody performance. I set the input for the chords track to ā€œScalerā€ and Melody to ā€œScaler 2ā€ but when I go back to the chords it plays the melody track. Iā€™m also not clear on the best way to record. I tried dragging the chords into S1 from Scaler and did the same thing with the melody, but when I hit play it only played chords and not the chords and melody. I went back and looked at the 1st module of the course but couldnā€™t seem to find anything specific to this issue. Iā€™m hoping somebody might be able to help and/or guide me to where I could get help. I can post a screen recording if anybody is able to help. Thank you!

Iā€™m a S1 and Scaler user, I may be able to help but having a little trouble understanding your problem. I hope this isnā€™t too trivial: if youā€™re doing a melody and want to print it onto a track, you have to have Perform active, otherwise itā€™ll just drag the static chords. Once itā€™s on the track, you should have the midi notes - to play back, turn Perform off. Then S1 will just play the notes you delivered from Scaler.

Am I misunderstanding your challenge ?

Thanks so much for your response. What Iā€™m trying to do is create chords on one track and then melody on another. Iā€™m obviously not understanding how this works and/or going about this the wrong way. I took a screen recording of what I tried to do and am including a dropbox link. If you have time to take a look and give me some guidance I would be most appreciative. Thanks again.

How about ``completely duplicatingā€™ā€™ the tracks, or assigning (independent) scalers to each track?

Hey @eedubya.

Hope you are having some success. It can be a little tricky to initially get your head around what is happening with Scaler and S1 with what is being generated and what is being recorded. But Iā€™m sure it will click.

Not exactly sure where you might be getting hung up, but this vid might give you a tip or two. I walk through the different Studio One routings using Scaler standalone and with other VSTs. Sorry that the 1st half of the vid does not show the Scaler Drop down menus (capture software issue) but there is nothing contained in those menu selections that has an impact on the setup.

Setting up Scaler in Studio One - YouTube

Hope this helps a little. Scaler and S1 are a great combination and imho, worth messing with a bit to get it worked out in your head. I have several templates setup w/Scaler configured in different ways because I can forget some of the setup occasionally.

Good lick and happy Scalering.

Thanks for getting back to me. I havenā€™t tried ā€œduplicate complete,ā€ but did try your suggestions of loading in a brand new scaler and was able to get the chords and melody to play at the same time. This seems a bit inefficient though as I had to completely re-make the chord progression instead of duplicating it and doing perform mode on the duplicated track.

Thanks so much for your response. I actually came across your video and had it in my queue. I worked through a little over half of your video and got stuck with duplicating. I followed your steps and am not getting the same result. Hereā€™s a screen recording. If you have any more guidance I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again.

I may be misunderstanding your workflow (and probably am) but doesnā€™t ā€˜syncā€™ solve this? Choose one instance as the master and the other track will follow any changes.

Thanks for the response. What your saying makes sense and is what Iā€™m trying to accomplish, but not exactly sure how to ā€œsyncā€ things up.

1 Like

Letā€™s say you have one main Scaler youā€™ve done work with. Now add Scaler to other tracks you want. From the Main Scaler click on the logo on the upper left. Then click on Sync. From there you can choose which items you want synced. Probably all. When you click on Sync all others Scalers will now be the same as the Main one. If you choose Live Sync then the main Scaler becomes the Leader and the others will be followers. If you do that then you can only make changes in the Leader for the others to follow. Which ever is more useful for you.

Ahhh thank you, this worked! I have my main scaler with my chord progression and I dragged in another instance to a new track. I chose sync on my main scaler and then dragged the chords into my DAW. Then on the other instance of Scaler I chose a melody and dragged those in as well. I chose the same instance of Scaler as the instrument output and each played correctly. The next question I have is how can I change the instrument on say the melody track? When I tried changing it, the chord track also changed.

1 Like

Makes sure sync of selected sound is not checked.
Screen Shot 2023-07-26 at 7.44.08 AM

For some reason I cannot view your screen recordings, but it looks like the A team is on your case. Iā€™m sure they will help you sort it out. I donā€™t use Synch very often so I donā€™t add much at this point. Hang in thereā€¦itā€™s worth it.