Matching an oddly timed Scaler 2 sequence to the hosts resolution

Hi Folks,

I have a chord progression with an odd timing (lots of 0,66’s in the sequencer tab) that doesn’t add up to a fair bar-count by any means. I can tap a perfect 4/4 underneath it though, but it won’t match the time-signature of the host. Off course, changing the hosts tempo changes the tempo of the chord progression too.

In short: the chord-progression matches to 2.4.7 beats from the host, yet it does syncopally match a standard 4/4

I can fiddle with the timings in Scaler 2 sequencer and make it fit a reasonable yet broken time signature in the host, but somehow it just won’t take on the exact same swing as the original.

I’d like to record the chord progression as is in Atom 2, and then time stretch the recorded midi to match the host tempo, but I cannot find any way to do that. It contains complex arpeggios, and I couldn’t yet get it to work by simply matching up each note separately in Atom.

Is there a way to force a Scaler 2 sequence to match up to a given beat?
Or perhaps there is a way to time-stretch midi in another auv3 app? I don’t have cubasis or ableton at hand, which seem to offer this option, so maybe someone can hint me a lightweight plugin that can do this?

Maybe I should run the chord progression in a standalone fashion and record that outside midi into the host, set at the matching 4/4, but that seems medieval, and furthermore, I wouldn’t know how to do that on an iPad.

On the other hand, I have the impression I am missing the obvious here, so maybe someone could teach me how to force farout timings from scaler to match that of the host?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @thomas1977

Could you clarify which DAW you are using, please?

Could you also export the Scaler state and upload it here so that others might be able to replicate your issue?

Hi @ed66,

I should’ve offered more context. The host is Loopy Pro.
I should also have narrowed it down before asking. I gave it another look, and it simplified itself to this:

Consider this progression with a duration of 4 times 0,66 and 2 times 0.5.

This adds up to 3.64 at two beats. Notice any global setting for chord duration would result in a fraction of 1/3.64 in respect to the tempo of the host.

After recording or capturing the result to a daw-tempo dependent plugin, the midi sequence does not line up with the tempo of the host. I imagined timestretching the recorded midi relative to that tempo. That would greatly facilitate adding new rhythmical layers without having a calculator at hand. My calculator-skills probably wouldn’t allow for more than 2 layers.

In the case above, the original chord-progression will result in a midiclip of 2.4.1 beats lentgh. That’s too odd for me. If only I could just timestretch that midi to fill the complete two bars.

The arrows above would stretch the note lengths, not the timing.
Maybe there is a handy midi-tool or script out there that can time-stretch midi?

But if I’m not overlooking the obvious, I’d somehow would like to be able to set the global chord length in Scaler manually in order to match the total timing of the chord progression to the tempo of the host. Maybe even automatically on whatever the outcome of the section c sequence would be.

Impractical rhyrhms might not be the most reasonable to ask of a daw, but surely I am not the only one that once in a while ends up with an odd-timed sequence. Still, I am open to do the dirty work with maths too if only someone could point me to a source on how to do that properly with floating point time signatures.

Okay, I pursued the medieval route as a way around.

Considering the first three chords, at a total duration of 1.82 (0.66+0.66+0.5).
I’ve set the resolution of a midi device to 182 per bar and then counted my way up into placing the notes manually, assigning the second note to the 66th microbeat and the third 50 microbeats further up, thus recreating the exact rhythm that was accomplished first in Scaler 2.

These three notes offer not much of a challenge to do so, but it becomes tedious a task with complexly voiced arpeggios.
I still have the impression I’m overlooking the obvious. There really isn’t a more sensical approach to force an oddly timed sequence from Scaler to match it’s lentgh to the hosts resolution? I can only think of timestretching the midi externally after recording and the rerouting that midi back into scaler, or on the other hand rescaling the duration percentages in the Scaler sequence to have the total match up to a whole number.

b1-Session-2024-04-26.xml (11.8 KB)

For those intrigued; I’m trying to make the chord pattern from the above Scaler state to run along the global 4/4 beat in the host. You can clap a 4/4 along the scaler sequence, but that can not be assigned to the external tempo that’s driving scaler 2 in the first place.

Any hint or alternative take on this will be greatly appreciated!