More on Midiexplorer - just discovered more

This is a follow up post to YAWTWT .. or "yet another way to waste time" about Midiexplorer and talking about the rather esoteric functions in said program. This time it seemed more appropriate to post in ‘Tutorials’ , rather than ‘General’.

However, I discovered that it has a very useful midi file database, which I
had been looking for. It will scan some designated drive for files and load the properties thereof into a database. You can call up a piano roll view and other analyses.
However, more usefully it has a built in auditioning capability. So you can run through a library quickly looking for some clip you want, for example (Handy with the Niko 1000 midi, I mentioned in the last post.

Worth a look if you are looking for a midi file librarian - and free.

2 Likes

I found this very interesting, and attempted to use the midiexplorer.
All attempts to set a player fail however - don’t want to start w/Windows Media Player.
Can you provide any insight for a Windows user?
TIA

EDIT
My problem. Need to have complete player defined, not midi player that still needs an audio device! DUH!
Awesome app - thanks for the introduction.

My usage is simple and twofold. Firstly, I have a large number of monotimbral files which I want to audition quickly without having to load them all into Live. When I identify one which might be useful, I just drop them into a ‘possibles’ folder. I can live with using Media player for that. As far as I can see, the app installed Hit n Miss Infinity to do the rendering.
Secondly, I have another set if midi files which are GM, and I plan to re-mix a few into a different idiom (think William Orbit’s mix of Barber’s Adagio) and the app give me the track channel listings.

There is information at MidiExplorer . his indicates that the mdi player is defined so
midi

(note forward slashes are used)

I haven’t yet been able to get this to work - I tried it with Novation_4 Player; free at notation software - notation player 4

I think the app is one which I’ll leave in place for the time being and maybe explore more, but it might be that I use it for track listings unless i use some of the other analyses available.

@yorkeman Thanks for responding. I did get it sorted out. My config uses a midi player feeding a sound module via virtual cable. Works good, and can have quality sound files depending on the module there. Of course most defined files will be GM patches.
I was able to configure C:/Program Files/Notation_4/Player_4/Player.exe as my second defined player. Works when selected in the setting dialog. Need to press play within it. Maybe an option for auto - haven’t looked. Just wanted to let you know it can work

Thanks for this. I’ll look into alternate players when I have a moment.

As a general comment for anyone else looking, I have a small side project trying to ‘re-mix’ a few memorable tracks of great songs from the past (commencing in the early 60’s) with different tonalities and timbres, and cheating by using a midi file as the starting point…

Midiexplorer is quite useful because most of these are GM, and the program gives a handy track and instrument listing to start with after importing the track into Live.