Multiple instances in Live 11 will not sync

I’ve not experienced any sync problems on Win 10 and Ableton Live 11.2. I just took a clip of setting up sync with 3 Scalers, and the would be leader picks up the other two immediately.

I’ve working with a test setup as under
scaler x 3

An this seems to work fine; 2x scalers synced together; all three Scaler DAW synched to the host (Cantabile), and the host synced with MIDI Time Code from Live 11.2, running a copy of HYPE… all works well, although you do need to apply a few ms of track delay in Live.

See sync – Alphabase for the clip of setting up 3 x synced Scalers, and Ableton Live 2 | Completely unofficial Scaler information site for my test with sync with Live. {although I did not have the Scaler’s synced in the latter it does work ok.

The ‘Sync’ button at the bottom is always disabled for me

I’ve never tried the ‘sync’ future in the past

What do you mean for “disabled”?
Looking at the screenshot, it has the same colour as the others around, so it seems selectable… :thinking:

And, what version of Ableton Live?
If I remember well, the Lite (or the new Intro) version has limitations in instruments and effects, and maybe you are using more?

Can you try selecting Live Sync?

I’ve had to do this reply as a single image as there appears to be a limit of one image for new users…

So, in my clip, was I doing essentially the same as your have tried, but your button didn’t get focus ? ?

As you saw on my clip. I didn’t press anything for Scaler to find the other two instances - that happened immediately after I pulled up the Sync window. The program must thus look for other instances as soon it is invoked, and if it doesn’t in your case, the rest of the button presses are probably a red- herring.

I’ve just tried it in Live, and that works ok, but there is a bug in Live I’ve just noticed.

In Cantabile (a VST host) the lead instance detects 2 other instances (correct). But in live, with the same three Scaler setup it detects 3 other instances, so there is something wrong with the count there. One for @Ed1 .

So logically, it must be down to that stage, and that means there must be something different in your set up to mine.

I’m on Win 10 22H2 / .NET 4.8.1 (updated in 22H2) i9-9900 / 32Gb … any thoughts ?

Scaler will find instances across host, did you have an extra Scaler running in a different host?

I did a few tests and it seems to work fine here in different DAWs.

@FretPilot when a Scaler instance is launched it notifies other instances, a part of this process writes files to disk. Maybe check if you have an anti-virus or other security software that could block Scaler from reading the disk.

1 Like

d’Oh ! Yes. I assumed (clearly wrongly) that it would only detect other Scalers running in the VST host, not ‘system wide’ so to speak. When I ran it in Live, there was an instance sitting in Cantabile.

Many thanks for the explanation of this !.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay, I tried to reply last night, but due to this forum having a restriction on new users it wouldn’t let me post!

Anyhow, it appears to be an issue with Live (11.2.7) as it works fine in Reaper…

I’m currently using Windows 10 Pro 21H2 19044.2364 but appear to have an update waiting right now!

I too am using Live 11.2.7 but on Windows 10 Home 21H1 and do not have these issues.

This forum’s policy of limiting the number of posts I can make is a right pain - I had to wait a couple of hours to post this.

I’ve now tried using Ableton Live Beta and that does work.

Thank you all for your help and input.

The policy came from some very abusive posters as well as spammers. I’ve been here so long i often forget that happens. Glad you got it sorted out. Enjoy Scaler!

But you can always edit an old post, adding other comments… :wink: