My first AI animation video made using Scaler 2

Thank you so much. For my workflow the chord progression is the basis for everything. Scaler delivers!

3 Likes

Not my preferred kind of music and cartoon (I am more on the H&B or Disney side :grin:), but the use of Scaler with this production is interesting

Cool AI animation.
The music has some retro 80s vibe partially reminiscent of “Take on Me” by A-Ha.
There are a few things that I would offer critique on which is aimed at helping you add more value to your workflow;

Vocals - The vocals need tuning because there are some very noticeable points that are either flat or sharp which is detracting from the feel of the project by adding in too much dissonance.
I would also suggest maximising compression on the vocals as well as the dynamic range of the vocals is quite varied. Whilst dynamic range is good, I would feel that some old style heavy handed compression to “squash” the vocals would actually sit better with that synth-pop vibe but that’s just my opinion on artistic direction so feel free to take it with a pinch of salt.

The arps are really nice and really reinforce the synth-pop vibe but I think that the transitions need some added build up to really signal a change between sections of the track. You’ve got a prominent transition around 2:36 so you would need to find a way to sprinkle more of the build-ups throughout the track to clearly signal section transitions.

It’s cool to know you used Scaler 2 to help facilitate the creation of the track, would you mind talking a bit about how you chose to use Scaler 2, for example, just to build a chord sequence, did you use to to help with modulations, what type of modulations you chose to use, for example, chromatic mediants, secondary dominants etc.

I hope that you find my feedback balanced and informative. I strive to provide useful critiques because I operate on the premise of giving the feedback that I would want to receive.

Look forward to hearing more.

1 Like

Yes, I also noted that vocals are out of tune, but I was scared to criticize it because I don’t know the OP :cold_face:

I agree that one could be happy to receive critics, because this is the only way to improve, but not all people like that

For example, some years ago I was strongly criticized for my shoots (the other hobby I have), and this pushed me to improve my technique, and I am still grateful to that guy

I say nothing about the other questions, because I am still unable to produce transitions and to manage dynamics, even if some Scaler users suggested me to improve in that area :face_with_spiral_eyes: :upside_down_face: :rofl:

Call me pedantic and one to quibble semantics but to criticise is to judge without thought whereas to critique is to evaluate in order to offer an analysis that yields a potential positive outcome.
With this in mind, I’ll always offer a critique unless someone specifically asks for no feedback.

It’s like the old adage, “to fail is to learn, without failure, there is no growth” and the world only knows how many failures I’ve made in my music theory and production over the years but each failure or issue is an opportunity for growth.

I agree, not everyone wants to receive critiques but those that choose not to be open to being critiqued are only closing themselves off from growth.

I do strongly believe that a critique has to contain something identified as a potential issue but then offer a way to move forward which is why none of the feedback I offer will ever be “that’s poor”. It would instead be “that could use improvement and here is how you could potentially achieve it…”.

There are many positives going for the project but I would be doing a disservice to the OP if I chose to blow smoke where the sun doesn’t shine…if you catch my drift!

1 Like

Funny, I tend not to offer feedback unless asked which is the opposite to @phoenix1of1
Having said that, and even though no one asked me for my feedback!!! The music is lovely and video amazing but the vocals are very out of tune in the majority. Scaler has told you the key and scale so just throw any realtime tuner on the vocals and input the key and scale and voila!

1 Like

Thank you for all your replies. Critique well received, and sadly well deserved.

Yes the vocals are out of tune. My bad and I have no excuse, only circumstances.

I subscribed to iZotope for this production and they gave me the 7 day free trial, then on the same day that I wanted to publish the video (for the weekend traffic), the trial went into paid mode. As Melodyne essential is well protected security wise from all corners, somehow the plugin and all the tonality changes I made failed, they did not happen in the published version. The plugin was there but it did not work.
I do not posses perfect pitch and even though my relative pitch is OK, being fatigued and after long work hours, I guess it took it’s toll. When I noticed the problem while creating the shorts version (no notes showing up in the GUI), it was too late. No way to correct or replace on YouTube.

Still I am quite proud of the video, the next one will be better. I have been creating music (for myself) in the box for quite some time, but there are a few firsts in this production.
First time working with lyrics, vocals and singers. All my music created up to now was instrumental. First time making a song for an AI video animation. First time working with AI cloned singers.
So the learning curves were quite steep. But Fun!

Regarding Scaler. I am dyslectic so there no way for me to actually master and use music theory in the traditional way. Scaler is my ticket to the stars. So how do I use Scaler? Typically I play it by ear…

Anyway. I fixed the plugin and this is how the published video should have probably sounded like
(without the part transition improvements, without evaluating and correcting individual notes, with Melodyne tonality correction for A Minor set to 70%, Tonal Drift set to 40%). Hopefully it will somehow remedy the pain I caused in your ears. Let me know what you think.

Thanks again.

2 Likes