Replacing a chord in progression by its third Chord

Hi,
I have no musical theory knowledge but I have the musical intuition. I am aware that my lack of theory is a handicap and that’s why I use Scaler to help me, of course.
I wonder if there is an easy way to replace the copy of the existing chord in my progression by its third. For example, if I have the following progression as my Pattern “A1”:
Cmin - D min - Eb maj - F min - G min Ab maj - Bb maj
Then I add a Pattern B1 with different chords and then copy the pattern “A1” as a new one (e.g. A2) but want to replace the chords by their thirds.
Is there a simple way to convert the chords in and make them their thirds? For example, right-click on the first chord and have a drop-down menu with option “Third”. Or a button or check box below the chord telling “3rd” or so.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike do you mean you want to go up In thirds? Can you elaborate on what you mean by its third?

Hi David.
Exactly, I would like to go up in thirds. Well, this is my lack of theory that prevents me even from explaining it clearly. Basically, I listen my progression that I did in Scaler and in my head I “build” the respective third chords in order to sound a bit differently from the original ones but cannot imagine what they should look like on the keyboard. And, I would use them especially with Performances.
I hope it’s more clear.
Thanks

Mike

I don’t exactly know what you mean either, however…

You can do inversions, or you can perhaps change the key and copy the “new” chord progression into a track that hasn’t been transposed.

–perhaps?!

Why not use the Circle-of-5ths or transpose the key?

2 Likes

I’ll try this approach. Thanks.

I think this pretty much covers it. Using the CO5ths is easy as is transposing in EDIT mode (that’s probably the easiest, you can then go to CHORD EDIT mode to make extension adjustments. See attached.
Oct-29-2020 06-55-53

1 Like

OK, guy. Thanks for the idea. This works great in the Circle of Fifths, but…
I wanted to know which chord is, as I found today, the “relative chord” to any of the ones I used. And this is what I needed to know (but didn’t).
So, this comes to my initial request.
The point is: How can I know, if I am a musical theory dummy, that the key that matches with, for example, B major is G# minor? Meaning, G# is B major’s relative key or it’s third (if I correctly understand).

This’s what I asked in the beginning but ignored the real terms: If I have Bmaj in my progression and tick a checkbox or so, Scaler displays G# min. If I have Fmin and tick a checkbox (button, whatever), Scaler gives me Ab maj.
So, I hope this is clear now.

I found a longer way which works:

Still, it would be easier with a button, checkbox or so than opening the image every time, isn’t it?
CO5 is a great tool but still I need to know how to use it.

Thanks again,

Mike

I think this is a music theory thing and if I were your teacher I would simply say:
If you have a major chord, three keys down on your keyboard (three semitones / half tones) will get you the relative minor and vice versa. So wherever you want in Scaler, go up or down three semi tones. No chart needed.

1 Like

Great! That’s simple and efficient.

Thanks David