Scaler 2.5 Update Overview Video

How do Scaler 2 owners upgrade to version 2.5, please?

It’s in your Pluginboutique account. Login and go to your purchased software. You’ll see Scaler with a version number pull down menu.

2 Likes

It’s a bit of a confusing decision to me. I would expect the guitar voicings to be tailored to guitar, hence them being named ‘guitar voicing’. Plenty of other voicings to use for other instruments.

:man_shrugging:t2:

If you use Scaler to drive a guitar plugin, instead of the internal guitars, you’ll find that most patterns are, or can be, tailored to guitar…
:wink:

They are. The Drop vocings are very much in keeping with standard guitar-possible vocings and general pop/jazz vocings. The one called “guitar vocing” is somewhat optimized for popular VST guitar instruments. Also, it is possible to “Extract” a voicing and then “Apply” that to other chords.

2 Likes

Ah, I see you meant plugin instruments. I misinterpreted what you wrote as instruments other than guitar, sorry. Makes more sense now :slight_smile:

I still gotta play around with it some more.

If you select Guitar Vocings and then drop the VST instrument one octave you’ll get voicings that are in the lower register (lowest note on "6th string), and, the good thing is the vocing is a typical guitar-type one. I’ve only checked basic chords, next I plan to check chords with upper extensions and altered tones.

After trying it with NI’s Picked Acoustic instrument, I understand now. Using anything other than the standard Guitar Voicing causes it to trigger key switches, changing the articulation and playing patterns, which is not ideal!

For other instruments like Orange Tree guitars the drop tunings can work, and the dropping the whole instrument an octave is a solid tip, thanks!

1 Like

I’ve mentioned this once before, that the app ironically called ‘SUGGESTER’ does exactly that i.e. gives you a big page of a hundred or more suggested chords which all relate to your chosen starter one. They are arranged in rows of the same type e.g. triads, then 7ths, 9ths, Sus, and so on. The app has few, if any, of the goodies that SCALER has, like performances or ideas from song genres or artists. But it’s still a good starting point. Just dot around the huge number of choices until your ears like one - then find the next one. Of course it should be possible to use the two apps together - export the MIDI from SUGGESTER into SCALER, using the latter’s MIDI detect, and then enjoy all the great features of SCALER which SUGGESTER doesn’t have, although I think it’s a good starting source to tickle your ears.
Andrew, England