Scaler 2.9 crashing Cakewalk when opening project

Hi, I recently updated Scaler to version 2.9, and one of the Cakewalk projects I was working on now crashes on opening. The crash dump and Windows Event Viewer both point to Scaler causing the crash, and starting the project in safe mode and removing Scaler resolves the crashing (using the VST 2 version). I have the crash dump available if that would be useful, and I also have the project which I can forward if required. The Event List text is pasted below. Please advise? Thanks.

Log Name: Application
Source: Application Error
Date: 28 May 2024 12:22:11
Event ID: 1000
Task Category: (100)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Win10Music
Description:
Faulting application name: Cakewalk.exe, version: 28.11.0.21, time stamp: 0x6387726b
Faulting module name: Scaler2.dll, version: 2.9.0.0, time stamp: 0x66281895
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000005a5610
Faulting process id: 0x13e8
Faulting application start time: 0x01dab0e89e164efc
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe
Faulting module path: c:\program files\vstplugins\Scaler2.dll
Report Id: 816ee65f-1360-47a5-b8ca-d49776bfd8a4

Hi @evaluna001

Can I just clarify which version of Cakewalk you are using? In the log above it says

Is this Cakewalk version a recent version by Bandlab? My version of Cakewalk is 2024.02 (Build 098, 64 bit) (by Bandlab) and I don’t seem to have this issue. Does this happen when you start a new project and load Scaler with no other plugins loaded?

If the Cakewalk project that you are working on has lots of other plugins I am wondering if this is a memory issue. I found that this was a problem with older versions of Cakewalk (before I was using Scaler).

1 Like

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the response. The Cakewalk by Bandlab version is one update prior to current - 2023-11. I will check the exact build number. This also doesn’t happen in every project that uses an instance of Scaler, I have several other projects that open fine. Opening the Cakewalk project in safe mode and removing Scaler does resolve the problem, but obviously I would prefer to resolve the issue once and for all. There are a fair amount of other plugins in use, but nothing excessive (around 5 other instruments and 12 to 15 effects).

HI @evaluna001

If other projects are not crashing is it possible that Scaler is in conflict with one of the plugins in the project that does crash?

I’m afraid I can only think of tediously long ways of testing this hypothesis by testing combinations of plugins with Scaler.

Sorry I can’t help you any more than this.

Hi Ed,
That may be the case, but as you mention that would take a long time to test. I was hoping the developers would contribute - is this the correct place to report issues such as this, or is there another way to report bugs?
Thanks for the assistance.

Hi @evaluna001

This is the correct place to report bugs, and I am sure that the developers will look into it.

The difficulty is not knowing what may be causing this and as you say

If these other projects also use Scaler 2.9 it may not be the loading of Scaler into Cakewalk that is causing the crash.

May I suggest that you could package the Cakewalk project and share it so that other Cakewalk users may be able to help. Also try the Cakewalk forum to see if anyone else has had this issue with Scaler 2.9.

You haven’t listed the plugins that you are using in this project and this may also help identify the source of the issue. Are the plugins you are using Cakewalk plugins or third party plugins?

Hi Ed66,
I have a case open with Cakewalk support as well - they identified Scaler in the crash dump. There may be some type of conflict with other plugins, but removing Scaler in safe mode and re-saving stops the crashing, so Scaler is at least partially causing the issue. The other plugins in the project are Native Instruments, Waves and internal Cakewalk EQs, so nothing esoteric. I am happy to list them if that would be useful, hopefully the developers will chime in with some advice?

Just to clarify, is this Kontakt Player or Kontakt, and which version is it?

Hi, this is Kontakt 7 full version, latest update from Native Access. Thanks.

Hi,

Thanks for the info, it may help resolve the issue.

HI @evaluna001 But Scaler load fine on a vanilla project correct? It’s seems like this could be user specific and an isolated incident so as you can appreciate it’s going to be difficult to have devs spend time investigating it. We are looking at another issue in FL Studio and I will add this to the log incase it’s related. Maybe the next update will help.