Scaler 3 - Play Music With Your Computer Keyboard!

Please integrate this into Scaler : FreePiano | Advanced virtual MIDI keyboard into Scaler 3

It is a great tool, but it would be perfect if Scaler 2.9 or 3.0 could do this for you so you don’t have to use two plugins.

Many more octaves than regular qwerty 1 octave like most DAWs.

Maybe in Feature Requests

2 Likes

hi @James I just purchased the computer scaler 2 in addition to the iPad scaler 2 I had already purchased and I want to use the computer keyboard to try and mimic the iPad a bit better with my MacBook

is it possible? chat gpt said it was but when I go into the settings I can’t find the option

I switched to Studio One and inside of that there is this

Logic Pro had something similar , but better? More complete ie used whole keyboard
For some reason this appears to only use a very few keys, not using most of the computer keyboard? This is bizarre

I am fairly sure there are more keys on a computer keyboard than on a full size piano
So can’t we … I don’t get it

I am realising now the scaler 2 computer version I’d argue is less intuitive and has a worse UI than the iPad version

the iPad scaler 2 has a very clear format, for example broken into 3 sections clearly labeled the computer version has tiny text on the top right for the main chord pad sections. is this editable? I guess not of course but I don’t understand why it isn’t like in the iPad version

Everything is different…and less clear in the computer version

hi @james

after applying the above YouTube video to studio one it (*the computer keyboard) controls “1” in the photo how do I make it control the area boxed mark “2” ?

cheers

YUK!
The new frontier of knowledge :upside_down_face:

Actually yes

1 Like

Haste makes waste
:grin:

I don’t understand but if you’re saying you’re scared of,or,doubtful of ChatGPT and etc it’s normal in history for new advanced technologies to be viewed skeptically at first

actually, it is quite an old technology
and I still have to see any improvement in human knowledge deriving from that

anyway, there is no Scaler (PC version) keyboard currently, but I think to remember it will be in the next release

In the meanwhile, you can use PC keyboard keys in any DAW, even those for free I think

good to hear its being worked on! let us hope they build the scaler 2 piano with a built in touch screen soon as well

@ClaudioPorcellana I have an interesting question

Can you get scaler 2 to read/detect the music type the daw is playing

so I have one sample playing a simple melody, can scaler 2 be inserted into the same daw and record / analyse that tone/sound like it does its own piano keys?

If for “music type” you mean the “genre” like pop or trance, I think nope

If you mean recognize the chords/notes in your audio, yes, but the result is not always perfect, depending on the “audio”
For example, orchestral part or fast arpeggios are less easy to detect

Anyway, after recognition, you can have just chords selected, leaving single notes alone
Or you can just use the list of scales offered to see what scale match best with your audio

ok that’s very cool. thanks for the answer

how do you make the scaler 2 recording input the daw? sorry if my question is annoying

It’s a question of routing
You have to set the audio in a way that it goes to the Scaler input, but this depends on your DAW that is different from mine

Then you play the audio and click on the Audio Record button
I mean the red button under SCR in your screen-shot above, then click on midi (close to SCR) to change it in “audio”
OR
you may ask to chat gpt…
:grin:

ChatGPT itself does not claim to be intelligent, and indeed, (in spite of the hype about ‘AI’) there is a fairly widely accepted notion that any AI based on current technologies will not add to human knowledge anyway - their architecture precludes them from being ‘creative’. {and here I do not class spitting out some random notes in the style of Mozart as being creative). As a ‘large language model’, it primarily concerned with syntax and not semantics, and it is quite easy to fool. That said, it’s a pretty impressive piece of computing, and overall its technology is pretty up to date.

So I have to side with @scaler2fan that GPT is a useful and centralised source of information about a range of musical topics, and IMHO indeed can save much time vs a Google search , and to a lesser extent a Wikipedia one. [Try ‘mixolydian flat 6 scale’ in all three].

However, I can see where you might be coming from on the likes of GPT, as people in your line of work will still be in demand well after language models have dumped many people on the streets, simply for the fact that doing what you do requires porcellana brain juice (aka particular judgement) as well as information.

3 Likes

Sorry yes my question maybe unnecessary ! Sorry for being lazy
I’m amazed at scaler 2 it’s so incredible

It’s like a blind person and their guide dog
Ultimately the blind person still decides where the dog goes and indeed if it moves at all

But after repeatedly finding it (the guide dog or chat gpt) useful enough for the purpose of navigating the intended obstacle (moving around or learning about something or drafting a letter or essay) the blind person and computer user alike become more comfortable with using said things (guide dog or chat gpt) as tools

The human remains in control indeed these tools are all made by humans

As I suspect you’re unlikely to put such a question to it based on your skepticism shall we call it….! I asked for you in case you find the answer interesting. I fear you will not be impressed!

Oh well I tried @ClaudioPorcellana

Creating a series of complex and sophisticated chords and melodies to impress a classically trained pianist using Scaler 2 can be a creative endeavor. Here’s a set of chords and a melody idea that combines classical elements with a contemporary twist:

Chord Progression:

1. Cmaj7: Start with a C major 7th chord (C-E-G-B) to establish a sense of stability and elegance.

2. D7#9: Transition to a D7#9 chord (D-F#-A-C-Eb) for added tension and color. This chord has a jazzy quality that can add sophistication.

3. Gm9: Move to a G minor 9th chord (G-Bb-D-F-A) for a touch of melancholy and depth.

4. F#m7b5: Insert an F# minor 7th flat 5 chord (F#-A-C-E) for a bit of mystery and dissonance.

5. Bbmaj7: Shift to a Bb major 7th chord (Bb-D-F-A) to introduce warmth and richness.

Melody:

• Create a delicate and flowing melody that weaves through the chord progression. Use legato phrasing and incorporate grace notes, trills, and arpeggios to showcase the pianist’s technical skill.

• Experiment with tempo fluctuations, such as rubato, to add an expressive and emotive touch to the melody.

• Add ornamentation like turns, mordents, and appoggiaturas to enhance the classical feel while keeping it fresh.

• Emphasize dynamics, allowing the melody to swell and recede to create dramatic tension and release.

• Explore various scales and modes, such as the Dorian mode or harmonic minor scale, to infuse subtle complexity and unexpected twists into the melody.

• Utilize pedal techniques judiciously to achieve smooth and resonant transitions between chords, enhancing the overall sophistication of the piece.

Remember, the key to impressing a classically trained pianist is not just the complexity of the chords and melodies but also the thoughtful and expressive execution. Encourage the pianist to add their own interpretation, dynamics, and nuances to make the composition truly shine.

2 Likes