Scaler not sending midi notes played on scalar to hardware synth in UAD LUNA

Hi everyone,

I’ve loved using Scalar so far, but for some reason I cannot get it to send MIDI notes played directly on Scalar out to my Hardware MOOG Matriarch. It does work when I drag the midi notes clip to the Scalar track though. I’ve made a video to show you what I mean:

I would really appreciate any help to get this to work on my Mac Mini M1 running MAC OS Ventura 13.2 and UAD Luna as my DAW.

Note: I can get it to work with MIDI tracks VSTs using Scalar Control 2 with no problem. I’m trying to send live midi notes played on scalar to external hardware. I’ve selected the right MIDI channels to send to and the synth does receive notes once dragged to the track itself. No sound when played directly on Scalar

Thanks a lot for any help here.

Hi @tsk

The AU version of Scaler cannot send MIDI to external hardware. This is a limitation of the AU format. You can either use the AU MIDI FX (ScalerControl), or the VST version of Scaler to do what you want.

Let me know if this helps,

Hi @Ed1 Thanks for your reply.
As UAD Luna only works with AU and not with VSTs I will have to find a workaround.

Thanks for your time.
I thought there might be a solution.

Scalar please implement this functionality for AU too.

You don’t seem to understand. That functionality is not built into the AU spec so it can’t be implemented. Apple would have to change the AU spec since it is their spec. Scaler team can’t change that.

If you can get ScalerControl to send notes to other VSTs you should be able to redirect the MIDI from the track onto an external instrument. I am not sure how to do this in Luna but usually you can set the MIDI output of the track or load an external instrument device onto the track.