Scaler update 2.0b8 problem bandlab

hi guys so far when i reopen a project using the latest update in scaler 2.0b8 . In bandlab it never opens I get the opening project loading synth window but scaler 2 the little icon spins but never opens any thoughts eric

Me too. Same thing. Scaler 1 loads up but Scaler 2 loads, freezes, and closes Cakewalk Sonar Professional. Restarted my computer. Uninstalled, reinstalled. Nothing has fixed it yet. I noticed you posted this 6 days ago. Has no one responded to you??

Same here. Any project containing Scaler 2 cannot load at all. Complete freeze up and crash.
Edit: using Cakewalk by Bandlab (up to date)

Hello guys,

thanks for reporting, we will have a look

Cakewalk for Bandlab latest version
Scaler 2.0.3 VST3 can be inserted as an instrument but you cannot save and then re open the project. Cakewalk becomes unresponsive as it attempts to load Scaler.

So far Scaler 2.0.3 VST2 seems to function, save and load properly.

Downloaded Scaler 2.0.4 - same issues as with Scaler 2.0.3.

Cakewalk for Bandlab latest version
Scaler 2.0.3 VST3 can be inserted as an instrument but you cannot save and then re open the project. Cakewalk becomes unresponsive as it attempts to load Scaler.

So far Scaler 2.0.3 VST2 seems to function, save and load properly.

If you want to rescue a Cakewalk project, holding Shift key when opening project will let you skip Scaler. Then you could attempt to use the VST 2 version.
In plugin manager the VST3 version has silver text, the VST2 version is yellowish.

1 Like

Thanka for the tip on how to get back into my projects! Didn’t know about the shift key.

However, having trouble with your advice about VST2. I’ve never really used the Plugin Manager and can’t find anything that indicates a VST2 version of Scaler 2. Can you help me find it?

Sure thing, you can find the Scaler version information from the instance of Scaler you are using inside the About Popup (click on the logo to open it)

if it says VST then it is VST2 otherwise VST3 is written VST3 :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help. Sorry, what I meant was, if I’m using the VST3 version, how do I go about using the VST2 version?

The next time you install Scaler2, in the installer make sure the option to install vst2 is checked and make note (or change) the directory to install into. So possibly just reinstall Scaler2.

Then in Cakewalk, Utilities, run Plugin manager.

At the bottom see list of scan directories. Make sure the Scaler2 vst2 directory is listed. If not, add the directory and then select scan.

Sorry if my notes are not exactly accurate but not at my daw pc right now. This should give you enough to google and find info with images.

Your goal is to see 2 instances of Scaler2 in the list of instruments. And if color coded, vst3 is silver and vst2 is gold.

Usually no negative to running vst2 in Cakewalk. Some other daws only run vst3.

I hugely appreciate your help, thank you. I’ll give it a whirl and let you know.

Ok, so I’ve encountered a problem in that it appears only the VST3 version is being installed, depite the download indicating that both VST2 and VST3 will be installed. I can’t find the VST2 anywhere, so can’t tell Cakewalk where to look!

This info is fairly accurate, so see if you have these directories.

VST3 Plug-in path

The VST3 format has a dedicated installation path all VST3 plug-ins must comply with. All your VST3 plug-ins should be installed here:

Format Path Extension
VST3 C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
32-bit VST3 plug-ins on 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

========

The original installation path used when VST2 had been introduced in 1996 is C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins

To prevent a plug-in mess, it is recommended to decide on a single installation folder for all VST2 plug-ins and stick with it as far as possible.

Since it corresponds to the defined VST3 plug-in folder, this path is a good choice for all VST2 plug-ins:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
32-bit plug-ins on 64-bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST2

So helpful, thank you. Done a quick test and it worked! That’ll hopefully fix the issue for now. Thank you so much. Stay safe.