Scalering My Way to a 1950s Jump Blues

I can’t remember if we’re allowed to link to our own work, so forgive me (and delete me) if I’ve violated the rules of this wonderful forum. Anyway, I’m slowly getting the hang of mastering Scaler 2 in conjunction with other VSTs and my DAW (Studio One Six). My method has been to set myself various musical challenges and to learn my way uphill. Here’s the latest from Randy & The Ai-Ai-Ai’s: An all-synth attempt to capture the spirit of 1950s big band jive master Louis Jordan, featuring an all-digital band on my own composition:

Vocal: Dreamtonics (Synth V) Ninezero.
Composition: Scaler 2, EZ Keys
Composing & Arranging: Studio One Six
Organ: Native Instruments Vintage Organ
Guitars: Native Instruments Electric Mint
Bass: Native Instruments Rickenbacker
Horns: East West Hollywood Pop Brass
Baritone Sax: Presonus Presence
Percussion: Presonus Loops

I welcome all criticism, constructive or not.

“Nothing is real, and nothing to get hung about.”

4 Likes

Cool!

BTW, I have the East West Hollywood Pop Brass, but I was always unable to drive it with Scaler: did you use it by hand?

And about the synth voice, I am tempted sometimes because my voice is decent, but I don’t have an insulated room, and I compose in the office where my wife works, so it could allow me “singing” without bothering her

Nevertheless, after having tried East West Hollywood backup singers, Emvoice, and Vocaloid, I found that putting in a text is too much trouble

Thanks, Claudio! Yes, I was able to use Scaler to drive Hollywood Pop Brass. The key was to select one of the HPB articulations, and then adjust in the editing. I used Scaler, then recorded the midi, then adjusted by hand. I found the quality much better than NI Session Horns.

I’ve also found Synth V very easy to learn, after the initial learning curve. One shortcut: I do a melody track in Studio One (my DAW) and input the lyrics there. I then export that single MIDI track, and import it into Synth V, and it’s all ready to go. There’s no avoiding inputting lyrics, and I find this the most flexible way.

I sometimes sing my own material, but always use Synth V for an initial demo.

1 Like

Synth V is one of those fairly easy to learn, but also has a lot of options to really make the vocals very realistic (the parameters tools take some time to learn).

depending on the song, i may have the melody ready to go and import the MIDI and then bulk load the lyrics, and then tweak. or i my just create a bunch of notes (e.g. say a bunch of quarter notes), load the lyrics, then work out the timing and melody. one weird side effect - sometimes have just monotonic string of notes with the timing right, the vocal sometimes has enough variation that is already sounds pretty good for some sections…
Synth V - excellent. the voice library quality can vary depending on who is providing them - the dreamtronics ones are generally very good.

1 Like