Show Chord Name when Chord is dragged into Bitwig

Long ago in another Century, I used to code this sort of low-level MIDI stuff.

It’s been a nice quick trip down memory lane!

Something weird here, because I downloaded MIDIopsy and repeated your actions, in a different environment. [Ooops I meant to reply to @mbrowne ]

I fired up scaler inside Live, called up a C maj scale, and then dragged from scaler to the desktop. HxD shows as per my original post, track name in FF03 and chord name in FF06.
hxd

MIDIopsy shows the same thing

So why are we getting different results ? I’m puzzled ?

Yes, that’s the way it is right now. Same here. What is the mystery?

I intended this reply to go to @mbrowne , and hit the wrong link.

The reason for writing this is that further back he showed an HxD dump with midi markers on which didn’t show the chord name in FF06 - that was the screen clip he posted. So my query (to him) was why is his different to what other people are getting ? I repeated what he did exactly.

So his, with markers on and dragged from Scaler to the desktop
mb 1

and mine, with a seemingly identical process
hxd

With the chord shown. Something must be different.

Absolutely. That’s the mystery. All guesses welcome! I realize it’s a pretty insignificant issue within the feature set of Scaler. And I had brought it up back on 2.7.3. I was just hoping a couple of releases might have fixed it.

Any possibility this is a vst2 vs vst3 thing? Are all of you testing from vst3?

Can you tell us what your environment was here?
( Scaler version and VST type, OS, and DAW and version)

That just crossed my mind too. My own reports above are with VST3 version of Scaler.

Windows 10 i9-9900 /32Gg/ Samsung Evo 970 ssd. I use Live 11 and Cantabile 4 as VST hosts. I only use VST2 when there is no VST3, but in the tests, it was all VST3.

BTW, I just retried the tests using the VST2 version of Scaler, and it behaves the same as the VST3 version. That’s not surprising, as many VST3 implementation are just a wrapper to old code, and don’t use any of the new functions in the VST3 recommendations.

Hmmm. I just used Scaler 2.8.0 hosted in Cantabile Lite and got the chord info in the marker area just fine.

I made a short vid of my process.

https://www.screencast.com/t/vpbyUH3C

Even though I’d already tried 3 different hosts, I thought I’d try Cantabile given that. I did not get a chord name in the file. Only using VST3 in Win10. I don’t see how the host would affect Scaler creating the file, but it seems it did for you…

No. Every combination I have tried here will output chord info in the markers area. No difference from one to another here.

You may have a bug worth reporting over in the Bug Reports category. IMO, you’ll want to provide every detail of your setup and procedure, with a video, if you hope to have it duplicated, since “works for me!” seems to be the most common result of attempts to duplicate based only on description.

1 Like

Oh, sorry… Misread. I would like to see your feature request implemented because placing the chord name in a different location will be an improvement. And it should make my problem irrelevant.

And I had already put it in the Bugs area when I was using 2.7.3. I don’t expect any work on it because so few of us have encountered it, and it is such a tiny thing. Plus there is a workaround, which is not really the point unless it would have some heuristic value to a Dev. Anyway, I only intended to indicate it might not be so simple, and hopefully didn’t distract from your point! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all of this info, next major Scaler version should improve all of this.

1 Like

Glad to hear it, thanks David! :slightly_smiling_face: