Some observations working with Scaler sequences

Inspired by @TMacD post Exploring Scaler's Performance settings....an easier way the look beyond the chords I thought I’d post what I will call ‘observations’ about certain types of Scaler sequences.

Warning : they are pretty trivial, so experienced board dwellers should turn away now, but I thought they might be worth posting for fellow ‘noobies’ like me **.

I had been examining the midi patterns of sequences, and experimenting with inversion and retrograde, and also looking for possible combinations of these to create counterpoint. An example of one Arp sequence was as under

fig 1

What struck me about this was that the arpeggiated notes in the upper register really needed a patch with fast attack and quick delay, as they were so short. In the lower register, the notes lasted for a whole bar, so it seemed to me that a different patch would be more appropriate (these were probably left hand and right hand input).

I could have edited them and produced two midi files, but that would have ‘detached’ them from scaler, and I wanted the midi to be the same in Scaler and Live (which I was using).

So I used a simple midi chain effect

By moving the split point, different parts of the register could be routed to different patches, which I did by trial and error (although in this case it was easy as I was trying to split at the 1 bar notes).

So the routings for the upper register were as shown below.

fig 5

The whole setup with 3 Arp sequences driven by slightly different sequences and split points was as below

As a slightly different example, I picked a non-arpeggiated sequence where the split would be in time, rather than register. This generated a sort of ‘call’ and ‘response’ effect with only 8 notes, and had you played it with a just piano patch you might not have thought of doing this.

This time I threw in a simple string pad, a repeating I bar bass line, and a bit of a kick. it looked like this

As a reminder,

{a} these are otherwise out of the box , unchanged, vanilla Scaler sequences, with different split points to give the sort of effects this can produce

{b} I am crap at recording and mastering; so troll the idea and not the music prouction !

I might post some example of using the same ideas to generate a ‘polyrhythmic’ effect of combining a sequence with its inversion, and chopping out stuff with a chain.

You can listed to all the 3 clips at Observations on Scaler sequences – Galaxies and beyond …

PS ** I for many years played with hardware devices, but it was for my own consumption and I never paid much attention to the art of mixing or mastering (space, dynamic range, staging etc), but I did get into programming sound son my synths (digital, FM and analog). So I now count my experience from when I got rid of 20 U racks for gear and moved into the box, so I view myself as a Noobie from this perspective.

3 Likes

Site can’t be reached by me. USA

Certain. The website cannot be accessed.
And I’m curious to hear it. It looks so good.
I usually use chains in Ableton to separate voices in Instacomposer outputs and it looks like what you did in the 1st image

1 Like

Ooops typo in web address should have been

www.starcluster.co.uk/obs

Typo, sorry …

www.starcluster.co.uk/obs

3 Likes

I really like your experiment. It is a very controlled randomness. Thanks for sharing :clap: :clap:

The third one (1:20) is awesome, that has potential be built into a whole synthwave track!
I’m almost tempted to remix it :wink:

But then I might butcher it into something like this… LOL

Giorgio The Falcon by Aleamanic (soundcloud.com)

I love it and am quite humbled my ramblings in any way “inspired” anything. As someone who rarely keeps what I create, your post returns a similar inspiration.

It is certainly these kinds of sequences and layers that I can get lost in for hours…either listening or creating. And, aside from this community, I think that is one of my main attractions is to Scaler. For someone who loves music, can feel music, has at least a basic understanding of what it takes to produce music but has not mastered the physical and mental skills to really create music, Scaler provides a way to set off on a guided but still serendipitous musical journey that can often lead to some pretty amazing stuff.

It is kind of like hiring a backcountry ski guide. She has the knowledge to help me find the chutes and bowls I want to ski, but I still need to get down face. (Can you tell it is Winter in Park City?)

Thanks for sharing!