Using Midi Clips to Control Scaler

You can use midi clips or a midi input device to control Scaler by “binding” the pattern to midi.

To do this:

• Create your chord patterns in Scaler and go to the PAD page by clicking on PAD in the top right of the GLOBAL section.

• Now on Pattern 1 click on the button to the right of the pattern

The white notes in the range C2 to B3 are bound to the chords in the pattern. In this example because there are four chords in the pattern the notes C2, D2, E2 and F2 are grey indicating that they are bound to the chords

You can now control the how long the chords will play for using a midi clip.
You can also select which pattern to play using the white notes in the range C1 to B2. I have included a short midi clip to illustrate this

Bind1.mid (95 Bytes)

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the tutorial.

I appreciate the work you’ve put into describing this. If you could also create a short video demonstrating what you’ve done, and the results, that would help me wrap my mind around it. If not, no problem.

Hi Denarius

Thank you for your comment. I am not very good at videos, but I will truy and have a go over the next few days.

There are many excellent tutorials by David on YouTube and very easy to find. Here is one.

1 Like

Hi Ed and thanks for the information.

I have been checking the videos and one particular on Modulation did seem to show Davide using the trigger track idea to control the patterns played. That’s what I’m trying to reproduce.

Is this what you mean when you said:

You can now control the how long the chords will play for using a midi clip.

If it is can you please show me how to use midi in midi track to control the Key Switches C1 and D1 to control the pattern played?

Many Thanks

Hi @Alfie

To use a midi clip simply go to the PAD page and bind the pattern. Then create a midi clip with notes in the range C2 to B3 to play the blocks (chords)

and notes in the range C1 to B2 to switch between the patterns.

Then simply play the clip

1 Like