Wasting space or newbie oversight?

Hey guys, I’m a new user of Scaler, which I’m finding very useful. I find though that once I have identified the key I want to use (D Minor say), I’m presented with eight chords representing that scale, running from Dm to C. That’s fine, but there are eight more chords below that and probably eight above, just transposed. What I find frustrating is that I can’t easily choose a chord in that key that’s one octave lower without going through the octave change route (it’s like playing a keyboard with 12 notes and being asked to use a swithh if I want to go outside that narrow window). Also, once I’ve got a chord that’s transposed it looks exactly the same as one an octave higher or lower (what about shading them, deep er blue for lower notes, lighter blue for higher?). Meanwhile, back at the GUI, there’s a massive amount of space occupied by a list with a single entry (D minor) that could be used productively to show two or preferably three octaves in key, albeit with slightly thinner ‘tabs’. I’m a professional C++ programmer and software architect, (but only a dabbling musician) so apologies if this makes no musical sense!!! Wearing my programming hat though, the general design seems to call out for an approach where specific parts of the process get their own page. Modalities would be detection, auditioning songs/progressions and experimentation for instance. Just a thought.

Hi @Bambleweeny

you are right that at the moment, not all screens use the available space in the most efficient way.

There are different ways to use Scaler and the design has to work for all the different workflows. We are always trying to improve and will definitely move towards a more modular design as we add and refine features.

Thank you for the feedback,
Ed

1 Like