What do you want in Scaler 3.0?

I’ve used Cakewalk for 20 years. Some versions had stability issues, just like every DAW that has ever been on the market.

That said the Bandlab version has been quite stable generally speaking for me. In fact, literally the only time I’ve had issues is with Scaler involved (many times driving another vst with midi in/outs)

I don’t create projects that have a ton of editing (audio or midi), so it should just work.

I have been playing with Scaler for three days now. I love the massive library of progressions.

What I would like to see is more intelligence in the performance mode. It seems that phrases, melodies, etc, are translated to another position that sounds repetitive. Besides that, a musician would like to stay in a particular range. Maybe that is possible in Scalar, but I haven’t found it yet. So if you know it, feel free to inform me. What would be awesome is if the performance mode keeps in mind both the (temporary?) scale and the chord. For example, a melody plays towards the third note of a chord and knows if those notes will fit in the scale. And if that stays in a range like one and a half octaves, that would be awesome. For example, if it doesn’t fit in that range, Scaler chooses another pattern.

Another thing is that musicians could improve the library of progressions. I am familiar with Jazz and hard rock. And I noticed that the metal progressions are more like pop music, whereas metal often uses Phrygian mode.

Have you tried Voice Grouping? This helps with grouping and voice leading.
Scaler has no way to intelligently change patterns. I don’t imagine this will be coming anytime soon.
Screen Shot 2022-07-04 at 5.39.13 PM

Yes, I’ve seen grouping, which seems to be the best option. Thanks for letting me know.
It’s all right, that performance mode won’t be more intelligent. So I will use Scaler to see if I can get inspiration for chord progressions and some patterns. But I won’t let it play in my daw for sure. Well, maybe one track as a reference, temporary. In the end, I will play everything by hand.

When I bought Scaler at version 1 I bought it primarily because of the chord progressions. At v. 2.6 it’s still the best for progressions and if that’s all it did I would be happy. However it’s expressions have continued to get better and I wind up using many of them in my film soundtracks. With editing and DAW tricks they are quite handy. I wouldn’t dismiss them outright. They spark ideas I might not have thought of.

1 Like

In Scaler, once you have decided the scale in which you are going to make (or are creating) your progression, the chords change color, from blue to gray, depending on whether or not they belong to the chosen scale.
So it happens that some interpretations sound bad, why? Simply because we map the performance to scale mode. On many occasions it is better to choose the chord mode. Also in the MOD tab you can choose the way in which the chords you change will be linked.
In the EDIT tab you can invert chords so that there are not so many jumps between the voices, or simply to make it sound more to your liking. Likewise, you can define the duration of each chord.
Also in EDIT you can program the interpretations: For example, the 8 chords played once without interpretations, the 2nd time with arpeggios, the third time with Riffs, etc.
And, as another option, you can drag the progression into your DAW and visually choose the chord links
It’s a matter of trying.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve seen the settings in edit mode. I use the preferences > playback instead because it takes too much time to do settings for each chord and find a pattern. ( 8 times the duration, repeat, group and find patterns for each).

Then I drag the result in the DAW, add other tracks by hand, delete the track I dragged and play it manually.

That is a good method. I also play almost everything manually at the end. More dynamics and expression controls can be moved as well. And by the way I practice the piano

2 Likes

Great!
Now I understand how removing that jumps :astonished:

It’s a great luck having onboard a master in musical theory, so also wannabe musicians like me can improve :grin:

Thanks @jjfagot

2 Likes

what a strange liaison… :astonished:

can I listen some piece of yours?

Actually, I find “styles” totally useless, because all them can be used in any kind of music, from Stockhausen to liscio romagnolo :grin: :rofl:

For example, I used a hip-hop progressions to compose a flamenco song … :grin:

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see a third colour in use: Blue = in scale, Grey = not in scale, Yellow (eg) = near the scale. Borrowed chords (which I sort of understand) might fit here — your scale could be C major, but you add an A instead of an Am, and the A shows in Yellow, whereas the F#7 you randomly tried still comes up grey

Well, something like that already exists.
I left an image, in which you can see that the light gray color would correspond with your yellow color proposal, and the dark gray color with your gray.

2 Likes

I have to say I never spotted that before, and obviously didn’t read something that would have told me. Not a very strong contrast is it? One of the (very) few things Captain Melody did well was have green / yellow / red for how well notes ‘fitted’, though in their case IIRC it was notes compared to a chord, whereas I was after Key proximity, which I assume this is.

I assume we can’t alter the colours?

Yes. In Captain Melody that is clearer. But, after all, in Scaler there is a difference of colors to differentiate the chords that would be more or less inside or outside the scale / key (although they are not the colors of a traffic light, :smiley:)
We can not change those colors, but it can be suggested for improvement or requirement in future updates

1 Like

I uploaded some tracks on soundcloud:

Not much hard rock for now, but I think you will hear the influence of it.
Very different styles at the moment. I picked up my old hobby.

Ouch, it starts with the horror track which is very different (an experiment).

1 Like

mmm, I hear rather the influence of Prog, and I like it
included the experiment

1 Like

1400 plugins to make music or process sound doesn’t make any sense no matter how you look at it.
It’s the chef that makes the kitchen. You’re the type the industry is happy with. It’s therefore impossible to take you serious, so let’s agree to disagree. Good luck with the next plugin batch.

You are making an awful lot of erroneous assumptions. I can mix with a channel strip and a reverb just fine. However, I’ve been doing this long enough and at a high enough level that I’ve accumulated a lot of tools (effects, instruments, as well as compositional tools such as Scaler).

When you OWN A STUDIO you have to have tools various engineers and musicians are familiar with, not just the ones you personally use. Thus I don’t have a limited tool set.

I also have way more than 1 guitar, drum set, bass, keyboard, piano, microphone though one doesn’t need an arsenal to simply create a recording or compelling music.

I advice you to read your previous answer and see who’s making the assumptions. You’re not the only one with a studio either. Furthermore, you don’t need to convince me.
Best of luck with your plugins.