Windows 11

Mid way in the article, MS describe how to install for non compliant PC’s, though they do say it’s ‘not recommended’.

That said, your motherboard MUST support TPM. If it’s less than around 8 years old there is a good chance it will. Check you MB’s manual first.

Works great with all software no bugs at all but has a different desktop which is not as easy to use.
No idea why they changed it.
Does not have the simple organisable tiles when you push windows key.
Unless I am missing how you can get back to that!

It’s not worth it. I upgraded to windows 11 and quickly went back to windows 10. Windows 11 requires specific hardware otherwise, you’ll experience performance issues when using some apps or games. My brother is a software developer, and he also prefers Windows 10 because it works smoothly and has a wider range of available apps that function normally. I don’t see myself upgrading to a new operating system any time soon unless something better comes out. After purchasing cheap windows 10 key to unlock all the features the operating system has to offer, I realized it was the best option for me to keep using it.

Although Microsoft stipulate TMP 1.2 for Win 10 and TPM 2 for Win 11, reasonably reliable boards report that Win 10 installs anyway, but Win 11 needs a tweak. Of course without TPM things won’t work (Bitlocker for example ?) and there are obvious consequences without it as @Ben rightly says.

As I’ve posted here before, I’ve only ever updated Windows when I change machines, and can do so in a controlled fashion and with a working fallback. For me personally, Win 11 brings nothing.

Microsoft has just announced that the current version of Windows 10 (22H2) is the last release of Windows 10, and that support for Windows 10 will cease on 14 October 2025.

I guess I’ll have to upgraded some time in the next 18 months.

Out of curiosity, would Win 11 (or 12 as it might be ???) , or is it simply that you want a more ballsy box ?

Nothing dire has happened to my Windows 7 box and most of the software (Mcafee, Acronis, Jettico, Office) all claim to work under Win 7 still.

Setting up this machine was probably 5 - 7 man days (including the time to make the interface look like Win 7 :slight_smile: , so hassle.

My driver for changing the box will be uprating various bits. On my current box I have 3 x 2TB drives to allow for efficient spindle usage plus an SSD for all music stuff. I’ll maybe push the CPU power up and go all M2, but this should last me another couple of years.

I just don’t want to run an OS that is not supported for security issues. October 2025 is when the security patches will be ending on Windows 10 (and it is a good excuse to get a new more powerful computer - this is currently a laptop so difficult to upgrade).

This past week, I finally, and with a lot hesitation, I decided to update to Windows 11.
My DAW - Reaper, all my instruments - Scaler, Arturia, all Kontakt Instruments, Spitfire, East-West, the other less used instruments - everything works perfectly.
I wondered about these using iLok, like East-West - will they lose the activation as my PC will be considered as a “new” machine? Nope! Not even a glitch.
So, if you want to update because Win10 will not have support from Microsoft in October 2025 or just because of any other reason - this OS looks stable and everything works as before.

1 Like

I tried the update October last year and had to go back because OBS always crashed after a few minutes. Going back wasn’t a big problem at all. Then I got an OBS update notice a month ago and they promised they fixed the problem. They did. The update went fine. Though some plugins forgot that they were already licensed. :man_shrugging: I have a lot of them so sometimes during a livestream I open a plugin I did not use for some time and voila no license. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:Apart from that everything runs smooth as ever. :blush: