Workflow of Scaler in Conjunction with Rapid Composer

I’m starting out with Scaler and want to know if anyone else uses Rapid Composer in their workflow?
especially if you prefer to start with a melody, such as one generated from RC.

Perhaps import a melody into Scaler, build a supporting chord progression for it, and then drag the MIDI back into RC for accompaniment pattern tweaking/generation and adding more instruments?

I’ve started using RC but not heavily yet. I’ve taken chords from Scaler into RC and that works well. I’ve used melody or phrases in RC in sync with Scaler. Lots of possibilities. I like the picking pattern generator in RC quite a bit and the piano intro type things work well with harp.
So far RC makes things slower for me so I’m trying to change that.

I always think that scaler should improve this function by itself.

I always think that scaler should improve this function by itself.
You can even join realtrack
Whether realtrac is added or not
The idea is

Chord > style > generate music

Rapid Composer is a tool like many others. It doesn’t deal with styles. The style choice I find wrong. I don’t want software writing for me. I want it to teach me about chords, how music works. Scaler does a good job at that. Music should not be about pushing a button and that’s it.

4 Likes

In the RapidComposer Getting Started Guide you have many videos that can help you to work with this good program
Until recently I’ve used RC as a standalone application, and still like to do it that way. Then I integrate RC as VST in my DAW and with Control+Drag I bring all the tracks to my DAW…
But I’m watching the videos about RapidComposer that 41fingers is posting on Youtube, in which he always directly uses RC as a VST in his Cubase and I’m adapting it with Reaper. (Not with Ableton, which as always conditions me for its unique midi output). The truth is that with Reaper I am using RapidComposer very well, following the good advice of 41fingers. It can be perfectly combined with Scaler. Within RC you can bring the Scaler chord progression to the RC chord bar, you can work your Scaler performances and bring them to an RC track, but little else. Using RC as a VST inside your DAW you can do much more, combining the RC output with Scaler and with all the sounds and enhancements you have in your DAW.
I leave here the address of one of the videos about RC of 41fingers:
RapidComposer Customize your Interface - YouTube

It’s a completely foreign program to me. What does this program do?

https://www.orbplugins.com/orb-producer-suite/

Is that the same program or different, and if so, are there any experiences?

No, Hulkko. It is not the same program.
Orb is another program to help with music composition.
Simply click on the link that I left in the previous message and you can see a little of what it is about.
I have talked about RapidComposer because that was the topic: Scaler workflow together with Rapid Composer.
Currently I have made a template in Reaper that allows me to work quite well with both programs. They complement each other. In the same way that I have made another template with Scaler and ChordPotion that allows me to preview by clicking on a midi file in the media explorer, whether or not I am interested in working on that midi file, developing it. In the end, they are workflows, and each one looks at what suits them best at each moment. The learning curve in RapidComposer is steeper than in Scaler, but I think it’s worth it

It appears not to be … Rapid Composer is at https://www.musicdevelopments.com/

There has been an explosion in the number of applications over the last 10 years for generating components of musical pieces.

*** (later) Oops @jjfagot beat me to it …

1 Like

Rapid Composer is pretty expensive. I use ChordPotion to generate melodies for a fraction of price of RC. If it’s the same functionality, of course, but looks like it is. CP has four generators, one for chords and three for melodies plus I can regenerate in the middle of recording, hear whether I like it or not, change again, etc. Just my 2 cents.

But you haven’t used it so you don’t really know what it does. Chordpotion is cool but it doesn’t do what RC does. The dev behind RC is a great guy and listens to suggestions real well. Updates a pretty frequent.
I find there is room for both in Scaler land.

2 Likes

I too have been using RC for a couple years off and on and there will be a new beta version due soon with a “MIDI manipulator”. I’m looking forward to see what it does.
I’m just starting to set things up so I can use Scaler, RC, and Chordpotion to see what I can come up with.
My starting point is going to be Scaler as I find it the most intuitive and I am also excited to find out what is in the next version.

2 Likes

Seems like an interesting program that seems to be a must buy. :heart_eyes:

The beginning promises to be awkward. I don’t even get a vote.

This question now does not really belong in this forum, but perhaps I thought I would ask this question nonetheless. When I drag ready chords and press Play, no sound is heard. However, I get the sound to be heard towards others.

When you work with RC as VST, if you right click on the track, you will see that the output is assigned to VST Host. You have a track, whose sound will come out of the VST of your DAW to which you assign channel 1.
Also, you don’t have anything written on the track except the chords on the master track.
Drag from the right column Chord Generator, or arp, or any generator (Phr tab, phrases). The generator you drag onto the track will adapt to the chords you’ve put on the master track
Then click on play and you will hear something

1 Like

Apparently this program will look for chords if I send the finished melody as a midi? Scaler still can’t seem to be able to do this? At least I didn’t succeed. If you could even look for some kind of chords and then edit and fine-tune yourself.

A little over. I myself have been against computer music for a long time. Today, I use it myself all the time. I even want to listen to it because there’s stuff like that that might not be possible to achieve otherwise. Beautiful stuff. Also, it seems that at the moment, and what about in the future, even 20 years from now, it will probably be even finer. I like today’s technology because it allows you to do practically anything. Some top producer who knows his job so you certainly won’t hear whether or not the right professional guitarist has played that song. It is possible to make them look really authentic. The world is open. In addition, I emphasize that one thing that is great is that it is possible to make music with great applications even as a middle-aged person. It’s the nicest leisure time.

1 Like

Like I said, any generator you put on a track will adapt to the chords you’ve written on the top bar, or master track. You can define how what you drag will react, but ideally, especially at first, you should activate the magnet icon on the track where you are going to place the generators.
You also have a tab at the top to import midi files, selecting the tracks you want to import (I usually import the one with the chords).
Another thing: if you select chords or entire progressions in Scaler and drag them to the RC chord bar, they are directly copied (with their durations). If you already have a performance in Scaler and want to use it in RC, select in Scaler and drag to an RC track. Anyway, go experimenting and tell me. Now, I think that for this type of thing it is better that you send me private messages, so as not to monopolize the thread with RC things. Although, as you can see, there are many things that can be taken from Scaler to RC and from RC to Scaler.

1 Like

Yes, I ask. This program is complex, but there is a huge opportunity here.