Would be nice to see some Retro era chord sets available

Lots of 7ths and 9ths were used I think.
Would be nice to see some nice progressions for Retro / Synthwave etc.

@MasterTuner Thanks for the suggestion. What would you call Retro? 70’s / 80’s?

3 Likes

I would love to see to see chord progressions that echo the styles of Tony Banks, Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman, Richard Wright, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea.

2 Likes

80s
7th Chords, Slash chords

1 Like

Good suggestions - onboard thank you!

2 Likes

I wonder if there’s more than one thing at play here. Some artists happily drop rich chords (I’m guessing Tony Banks), others find unexpected chord changes (I’m wondering if Tangerine Dream applies here). I can see interest in both avenues.

Wally Badarou (Level 42, Grace Jones, dozens more), Thomas Dolby (his “Aliens ate my Buick” type progressions, they still sound like they were made this year, the sound is so majestic on that album), Pet Shop Boys, Be Bop Deluxe (one of the most interesting prog rock band of that time period led by the genius of Bill Nelson), Andrew Hale (wrote and played keys on Sade’s biggest hits and the amazing Sweetback band), U.K. (English supergroup consisted of Bill Bruford, Terry Bozzio, Allan Holdsworth, John Wetton, and Eddie Jobson), Yes, Loose Ends (by far one of my all time favorite bands, they had such beautiful melodies with warm tones, ahead of their time), Dazz Band (known as a dance funk band but their keyboard progressions were amazing and really amped up the sound) All of these would be great additions to the 70’s 80’s progressions, but if I had to pick only 1, it would be Loose Ends that would probably make a lot of people happy.

3 Likes

Great feedback thank you. Stay very tuned!

4 Likes

A bit of Genesis because Tony Banks had so nice progressions during their classic era with Peter Gabriel?

1 Like

All good feedback and just checking you guys have had a play with the synthwave presets in Scaler 2?
I’ve just scored a synthwave based video game using many of those chord sets

1 Like

yes, those synthwave chord sets are good

Hi
I hope my post is not OT, but this sample is in the Yes style
:grinning:

1 Like

Sounded a bit Genesis to me — what do I know!

yes, indeed, but I love them as well and listened a lot of music, so it’s likely they influenced me
:grinning:

I love all the other bands mentioned by the poster, EL&P for example and others in that era
maybe you can appreciate this in the Pink Floyd style?
not made with Scaler anyway

1 Like

this sample (of a longer project) is made with Scaler 2
what kind of influence can you see here?
:smiley:

Actually your yes piece reminded me a little of Animals

1 Like

I found that a little dark and busy. Very pleasant though. My prog tastes are very narrow so not reminded if anything. Do tell

the Animals…this is strange as I don’t have any of their albums
but I listened tons of tunes from the sixties to the 2000 so maybe I was influenced by some other similar band

I meant Animals the Pink Floyd Album!

1 Like

Well, Alan Price from the Animals was not bad at all either :slight_smile: But, yes, you are right, a bit inspired by the Pink Floyd album Animals.

1 Like