Ability to add your own "Custom Performances"

I agree with Yorkman; I too would be happy to pay a modest fee for a major upgrade. Historically the ugreade cost has been relatively modest, and hopefully, without risking the financial viability of the Scaler development, it will continue to be so.

1 Like

I think I paid 19$ or 29% from 1.x to 2.0. Well worth. Even 39$ or so wouldn’t be excessive.

Soon after I got Scaler, I noted to @davide that it cost me 35% of a fish and chip lunch for two with Mrs Yorkeman (in US terms , USD 100)

That seemed to put Scaler into perspective, as I noted.

2 Likes

and I bet you were hungry again the next day after that meal, while Scaler continuously keeps satiating appetites :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@davide the icing on the cake for me would be a live input, so Scaler reacts to my Midi patterns in realtime, including live sync between instances.

1 Like

The ability to load in 1 to 4 bar midi performances and save them to user would be awesome

Right now, I am using Scaler into Cthulhu to achieve to create unique and distinctive arps. Would be great if Scaler could include an arp/sequencer. It would increase usefulness immeasurably!

1 Like

Scaler does have an arpeggiator…

A very simple one.

Not one like this:

Right, they play well together, which is why it never occurred to me to wish Scaler would do what Cthulhu does, vice versa :wink:

I guess with Scaler’s huge library of performances and expression styles, it always felt to me like more than an arpeggiator. After all, you can play chords into Scaler expressions, and then it plays it similarly or more complex than an Arp would, albeit more preset driven :slight_smile:

Yeah, the Scaler performance library is composed of traditional music motifs and arps and is fine for songwriters and those who write pop music and commercial genres.

As I stated elsewhere, Cthulhu can do much more “out there” stuff like polyrhythmic arps, syncopation, and more. It has octave pitch control, velocity scaling, gate, tempo control, etc. You can hear it all over deadmau5 stuff.

In any case, I would not expect Scaler to be as extensible a tool as Cthulhu. I would be happy with more of a sequencer than an arp where you can select intervals and add rests.

1 Like

We’ll see what the future holds. I think surprises will be coming down the line. It just keeps getting better.

you got me curious now, I wasn’t aware one could do polyrhythms and syncopation with Cthulhu. Looks like I just scratched its surface. I love polyrhythms, how did this feature escape me :wink:

Yeah, there are a lot of things that aren’t too obvious.

I suggest you watch this video:

1 Like

You can see deadmau5 playing around with polyrhythms here around 1:30 in. He changes the arp to 5/16. Deleted deadmau5 Chord Progressions - YouTube

1 Like

This Feature Request is now almost 3.5 years old!
It would really be nice to have custom performances…
( I want to use it for a simple “bubbling organ” typical Reggae rythm)

It can not be really hard to implement that.

If I look into your scaler2.dll i can already find the encoded jsons of the performances. Its all there right at the fingertips…

A simple first step would be to make them external, so that userer can customize the performances themselves. A even better Idea would be a Midi drop function as discussed earlyer in this thread.

Kind regards,
Alex / Munich Germany

1 Like

Thanks for your patience here @lx222 and welcome to the forum. It’s on its way. No timeline to confirm but some great developments on the way.

1 Like

Hi @tony10000 … I am very interested in the Scaler Cthulhu relationship. Can you (or anyone) confirm that you can send chords from Scaler to Cthulhu in real time and produce what amounts to custom performances? again, this is in a live performance situation. Thanks.

Hi @OldTimerBill

Try routing the Midi output from Scaler to Cthulhu in your DAW.