Add a page with a list of common chords

Hope to add a page with a list of common chords, and support for changing into 7th chords, 9th chords, etc. and can be exchanged. Major and minor will do.

Just like that, there’s one in BIAB. But inconvenient, I wish SCALER could add a page for common chords.

I’ve just been into this page in BIAB and compared the information and workflow to that shown in Scaler.

Section C in Scaler allows flexibility i selecting chords in a variety of ways, for example in all tonic variations. Alternatively, on the ‘chord’ page the ‘search’ allows all the chords shown in BIAB to be selected. I picked C7 as a base to look at the variations of that; 32 variants of a C dominant 7 chords are shown. Stripping out the triadic inversions shown in BIAB that’s more in Scaler than in BIAB.

So in BIAB, to add a C7b9 chord to the progression, the selection is made from the drop down in the chord builder
biab
and then adding the chord by clicking the ‘Enter Chord’ button
add chord biab

biag progression

In Scaler, it can be done via section B or (equally quickly) from the Chord option . In the latter, enter C7 into the chord search, then drag the selected chord to the pattern

It’s a toss of a coin which is quicker.

So it seems to me that this is more of a convenience / workflow issue than a functional issue. In my case I can do it as quickly in Scaler as I just did in BIAB, so I’m happy with this. However, that’s just my entirely personal view and you would maybe prefer the BIAB approach - that’s fine too.
However, I think that the devs have to make a choice, and duplicating functions is likely to add to confusion, given there is an effective (IMHO) mechanism already.;

2 Likes

Hi @swingmix

@yorkeman has just beaten me to this, but even though I am not familiar with Band In A Box, I think that much of what you are suggesting is already available on Scaler on the CHORD page, but with more flexibility.

Slash chords are simply inversions which you can create by clicking on the - or + inversions. Where the bass is a note outside the chord it is easy to add this on the keyboard.

For diminished chords you can simply type the chord name into the search box, and the results give you a whole selection of diminished chords from which to choose. I think a good option is to have a selection of chords and then to use my ears to select the most appropriate chord (if it sounds good it probably is right).

I also like the approach in Scaler where the suggested chords have the different blue and grey bars to indicate how close they are to your selected scale.

On reflection it looks like this is basically a different apprach and workflow?

Yes, I agree with you all.
However, SCALER still needs to be found every time, and it is not convenient to switch to other keys.
My request is only to add a list of common chords, so which chords are, just those that BIAB draws a red frame, because it is indeed used a lot of times. I can type each time by myself, but it’s obviously a waste of time. I can also save, but I can’t switch keys, and I can’t switch triads, seventh chords.
In short, I still strongly hope that SCALER will add a common chord function.
It’s just like I drew the red frame.

I never type chords like this in BIAB. I just type directly.
But the list of common chords below this page is very useful. Since these chords are usually sufficient, he lists them all. very good. I wish SCALER also has a page like this, that’s what I need.
This is the picture. Note that I am talking about the content in the red box, not the content above.

Yes. Is clear. Band in a Box has some very good functions, very nice, very easy, etc…
But if I had wanted to have Band in a Box I would have bought it. However, I did acquire Scaler. And I wouldn’t want Scaler to become BiaB. That Scaler acquires functions from BiaB, from RapidComposer, from Opus Orchestrator will seem fine to me,… but if Scaler does what BandinaBox does because you heavily insist on wanting Scaler to do what BandinaBox does, surely what you are going to achieve is that I did not update Scaler and directly buy BandinaBox

4 Likes

totally agree. BIAB and SCALER are different.
If possible, I hope the SCALER team can include a list of common chords here.

1 Like

I am not against the idea if it can be done easily at little additional cost, but if it is implemented I hope it won’t stifle creativity. For me the beauty of Scaler is the fact that I can experiment to find beautiful progressinos that are not common.

2 Likes

I have both programs. BIAB is really underused. Scaler, on the other hand, is available to me all the time. I almost always go through it to design a song.

Perfect functions will save time, and saving time will increase creativity. Every time I waste some time typing in common chords.

BIAB is really good.

If you are wasting time then you don’t know anything about creating a workflow. You could have easily created a Scaler instance with all common chords you want and use that to draw from. Make a template and use it as needed. Instead of wishing why not use Scaler for all it has to offer. Scaler does not stop me from creating, it enhances it already. I think I’ve said this many times that Scaler already has everything you need in it. When version 3 comes out we’ll see where that one takes us.
Is there some reason you can’t take chords from BIAB to Scaler?

1 Like

Of course I know I can create it myself. But isn’t every creation a waste of time? And every time the tune of the song is different, you can’t change the tune, so you’re always creating it? Didn’t I say everything above? I have also used scaler for a long time. I must know that I can create it myself. I just want to officially add a list of commonly used chords, which can save more time?

I think it’s not a bad idea to add that common chords tab you’re proposing, but I think the important thing is that each of us find our own workflow so that the plugins and DAWs we use are truly effective at what we do. we plan to do. As Jaime has said before, you might find a way to get the chords, or maybe the entire progression you care about from BiaB into your DAW or directly into Scaler. Surely it would be an important time saver for you. You should try it. For my part, I’ll try to make a video tomorrow where I plan to bring chord progressions from JJazzLab to Scaler (it’s similar to BiaB, but free; and BiaB songs can be imported into JJazzLab). I have already tried several options and it works fine. I think it may be interesting for you. I will do it tomorrow; I’m going to bed now. Good evening

1 Like

I think you misunderstand me. A page for common cords could be useful to some. I just think it’s all there now. And I never said creation is a waste of time. I said if you think you are wasting time looking for chords you need to find a workflow that works for you. Meaning you can find a way to make it work for you until version 3 and whatever updates that may bring. By all means, keep asking for things you think may be useful but don’t forget that Scaler has everything right there now in some form or another. And if you can work with 2 different apps to achieve what you need, that might be good as well. I use Rapid Composer and Scaler together because RC has some amazing things that Scaler does not. But Scaler is faster to build from for me. So I drag and drop from RC and let Scaler (and me) design my progressions. Works pretty well until Scaler 3 brings us more goodies.
Cheers and keep on Creating! It’s all about the music.

1 Like

I’ll be curious to see what you come up with. I don’t know BIAB since there is no demo but from what I can sus out, it seems more of an app for making backing tracks to solo over rather then original music. The styles of the tracks seem pretty locked in. I could be wrong there.

1 Like

I think you misunderstand me.

My English is not good, so the translation may not be accurate.
I try to write as simple as possible.
I hope in the future SCALER will add a list of common chords.

I’ll be curious to see what you come up with. I don’t know BIAB since there is no demo but from what I can sus out, it seems more of an app for making backing tracks to solo over rather then original music. The styles of the tracks seem pretty locked in. I could be wrong there.

BIAB has thousands of music styles. Enter chords and play and generate music right away.
BIAB has more than 3000 real tracks. For example, I need a strum.
I type C -F- Fm- C
Then, a piece of music can be produced.

I think the biggest benefit of BIAB is that it saves me time. It can make me feel the music I want quickly, it may not be perfect, but it is enough.

I seem to have a lot of professional guitar players, pianists in my computer. I tell them the chord progressions and they help me play it and it feels good.

Of course, the point of this post is not to discuss BIAB.

But you are always bringing it up so it must be discussed in comparison. I want to know why some think it’s better then Scaler. Do people use it to write original music?

No, you are actually spot on. Although there are ways to escape from the (rigid) styles, (with the ‘style maker wizard’) it still has restrictions and it is more tedious than doing this within alternative and more generic apps.

There are in fact a huge array of options in BIAB (reflecting the fact it has been around for many years), but I suspect the vast majority of users use it in the way it was originally pitched at; (paraphrasing here) GM based, small and fixed number of tracks ; pick a style, press generate, and press it again until you get something you like. It can generate passably pleasant country pieces and ‘jazz’ tunes.

While it is very wide in its functions (a couple of which I occasionally use) the concept is for me diametrically opposed to that of Scaler; i.e. to create something vaguely musical without understanding of creativity and being none the wiser about music than before you did it.
That is not intending to be in any way critical of that goal, nor of the people who use it; it is a perfectly laudable goal, and its large number of users get value and enjoyment out of the app.

It’s just not how wanted to try improve my musical knowledge and so that I might - just might - achieve something minimally creative.

1 Like

But you are always bringing it up

yes. Because I use SCALER and BIAB every day.

I want to know why some think it’s better then Scaler.

I personally think both BIAB and SCALER are good, so I have both.

Do people use it to write original music?

I would use BIAB to make some singing accompaniments just to entertain myself and my family.