Introduction to Setting up Live Sync in Scaler

Having had a small problem using Live Sync with midi binding in Ableton Live 11 on a Windows 10 pc, I thought it may be helpful to put together this short guide.

I have set up three tacks on Ableton Live each with an instance of Scaler 2.7:PAD, BASS and ARP.

When I enable LIVE SYNC I will use the Scaler in the PAD track as the “leader” and the Scalers in the BASS and ARP tracks as the “followers”. This means that anything I change in Section C in the PAD Scaler will be duplicated in the BASS and ARP in real time. So, for example, I could replace a triad with a 7th and this would be duplicated across the synced Scalers in real time.

For the bass I have set up a simple bass performance running at half speed

with A Bass Guitar sound.

For the ARP I have set up a simple Arpeggio

with a Housey sound.

In the PAD Scaler I am using Ethereal Wonders as the sound

In the PAD Scaler I have chosen the sequence CLASSICAL 5 selected all the chords and added them to the Current Pattern.

This actually gives 3 patterns as shown on the PAD page below.

Now to create the Live Sync I simply click on the Scaler log in the top left-hand corner and select SYNC from the drop-down menu.

Now select LIVE SYNC by clicking on the button to the left of LIVE SYNC

and then click on the SYNC button

Finally I have navigated to the PAD page and bound Pattern 1 to midi by clicking on the button on the right-hand side of the pattern (Don’t forget that to use Key Switching you must be in the PAD page).

Finally if you try this in Ableton Live, set MONITOR in the tracks with the follower Scalers to In.

3 Likes

Great tutorial, Ed, as usual. And I see that you master Green Shot, too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let me ask you a question. When I set a leader and a follow
So, if I click the C major mat on the leader, will the follow not ring together?
The DAW I use is Studio one

If you click on the pad on Leader it does NOT play the pad on Follower. SYNC in this case means the Chords on the follower will always be the same as the Leader.
If you have 4 chords on the Leader - Amin GMaj DMaj CMaj - those same chords will show up on the Follower. You can trigger them at different times though if you want.

1 Like

But I saw in the official demonstration video that David was triggered at the same time.
Start from 4 minutes of this video.
Three SCALERs are running at the same time. I also noticed that C is not bound at this time.
How is he driven? You know what? thank you

look here >>>Scaler 2.7 Update Overview Video

YouTube

I even see that Mr. David can choose which SCALER has a voice alone or together. Did you find out? How did this happen?

He has the Scalers all Synced to play when the DAW plays. You can see the arrows on both visible are blue meaning their Start and Stop is controlled by pushing play on the DAW.
DAW sync is NOT the same as Live Sync.
Live Sync lets all Scalers share the same chords. Any changes in the LEADER automatically changes the FOLLOWERS.
DAW SYNC controls if the Scalers START and STOP in sync to the DAW.
Davide does NOT have the pads in BIND

1 Like

thank you. I know now. Thank you for your patience.

Hi

At the end of this video, 36:20
I found new problems.
I see that Mr. David has opened two Scalers, one of which has no settings, and the other has set a new “scale based sequences”
I found that when Mr. David clicks the keyboard, two Scalers can play at the same time. How does this work?

He is playing one Scaler. Not sure what you are seeing but there is one Scaler there. He is Binding section B.

1 Like

yes. However, I heard that two SCALERs had voices at the same time.

You can have 10 Scalers sound at the same time if they are synced to DAW play. You can also activate record on multiple Scaler tracks and play from your keyboard.

What I saw was that Mr. David only clicked on a SCALER mat, and then two Scalers were playing.

What is a Scaler mat?

1 Like

scaler pad.

An error occurred in the translation.

What I saw was that Mr. David only clicked on a SCALER pad, and then two Scalers were playing.

If you are talking about the end at 36:00 or so he is playing 1 Scaler instance playing Felt Piano with a Scale based performance. That’s it. You can see it right there on the screen. 1 Scaler.
[EDIT ADDENDUM] One Scaler was mostly hidden unless you watch closely. My mistake watching on an iPhone.

1 Like

The exact time is after 36:50
I heard two voices, not one. The sound of the chord itself and the sound of the performance settings.
If I play, only the sound of the performance setting is played.

The Scaler he is using is Scaler instrument in Logic X on a Mac. When he switches to Scale only on one Scaler there is a Scaler playing only chords. He would have 2 tracks with Both tracks selected with Monitor on there by allowing both Scalers to play together. Easy to do. Just have 2 Scaler tracks set to monitor controlled by your keyboard. Easy. I missed it the first time because I’m out on my daily 6 mile walk and could only watch it on the phone.

But, there are two voices, right? One is a chord and the other is “scale based sequences”. Clicked the scaler pad and both rang.