My new Frankfurt Studio is near complete

Well, I don[t know what to say, except business must be good. Must add a bit to the house insurance :slight_smile:

Is that an ES-335 in the middle of the first picture?

It seems. that there is a bias towards Les Paul (or at least that style). Interesting what appears to be a 3 pickup yellow SG (590s ?).

How often do you get round to playing them ?

Can you hear shuttle launches from your studio ?

ARGH!
I am drooling a gallon over
:rofl:

Yes, exactly
all those buttons and sliders and keys and cases in perfect lines, instead of having them all scattered here and there…
It’s strange :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That 335 is an inexpensive import. Here is another I just picked up. I added a TP-6 Fine Tuning Tailpiece. Guitar is made by “Firefly” :slight_smile: Yeah I love LPs and also their Double Cutaways. The Firefly Yellow SG is an import as well.

1 Like

Still don’t get it? If I had no control over the controller, why would I need a controller?
It is the opportunistic outcomes I cherish, not the lack of control of initial conditions. It is organized chaos, bounded randomness that I seek… :slight_smile:

I’d never heard of Firefly, but it seems they are a fraction of the original’s price. Gibson Custom Shop ES-335’s here (UK) are at least £5,000 new.

I have an ES-335 copy, made by German company Hofner. Bought it in 1965, still have it.

2 Likes

Beautiful Hofner. Firefly guitars are imports only sold in the USA.

Since the Arturia is sending out MIDI data I don’t understand how it could be incompatible with Bitwig. MIDI is MIDI. The spec is set and hasn’t changed since it started. MIDI 2.0 is the only change to that spec since the beginning. Have you hooked a MIDI monitor between it and the DAW? What is it sending out? Is thes a known issue on the Bitwig forums?

Even my AKAI Midimix is just MIDI, and yet it doesn’t work with Bitwig :upside_down_face:

here is the list of compatible devices

So you’re saying if you play your keyboard Bitwig won’t play your instrument? How do you play your solo jams? The mouse?
My keyboard isn’t listed and it works fine.

As I understand, the problem is not in playing keys but how the controls (encoders, sliders) work with Bitwig.

In @ClaudioPorcellana list of devices compatible with Bitwig, there are “little brothers” of Bernd’s controller: KeyLab 49 mkII, KeyLab 61 mkII, but not 88 keys. However, his Keylab works fine with Ableton and (I can confirm because I have it) Reaper. As @Bernd stated, this clearly means it is not HW problem.

I always considered Reaper as very difficult to be controlled by any kind of MIDI devices, but from the first day, my KeyLab 61 mkII worked perfectly with it. No trouble with encoders, transport controls, sliders, pads - 100% integration. Bitwig seems to be more complicated to be satisfied with what comes to it.

The 88 is listed but not the MKII. In any event it’s clear your talking about the script that defines the keyboard to a particular DAW. My work around would be don’t use the assigned DAW script. That would be preferable the losing the vast modulation and addition Bitwig tools that Live just doesn’t have. I have a hard time going back to Live after the advanced routings in Bitwig. If you route the controls by Learn do they respond any better?

I don’t know for Bernd’s keyboard

In my case, the DAW/controller doesn’t remember the things the knobs and sliders were assigned to, even using the only dedicated scripts I found on the Internet

Bernd anyway has the advantage that his keyboard is recent, so I think that Bigwig devs will add it to the list, a day or another

My Midimix controller instead is useless
well, I can still use it as a paperweight :grin: :rofl:

Nope, same issue. Sluggish/delayed, and only using minimum knob range physically totally overshoots the software control. Only in Bitwig, with the default Keylab 88 in the controller menu. And using the Keylab 61 Mk2 option in Bitwig makes no difference either.

The keys and drum pads play okay. Its the knobs and faders that dont respond properly, too sluggish/delayed, and using too little physical range to make enormous outsized move on the software side. It does not feel like the 1:1 as in Analog Lab or Ableton Live.

I have tried both the Keylab 88 Mk2 in DAW Mode (and it does not provide a “Bitwig” setting, but usually Bitwig is compatible with Live, I tried that and the MCU and HUI settings, all the same behavior).

I have not had the opportunity to use MidiOx or some such for deeper troubleshooting. But I am familiar with that, used it to reverse engineer my Maschine after touch :slight_smile:

Gotten closer to a solution. Between @jamieh and @Miki’s suggestion I got on the right track.
How the Arturia Keylab 88 Mk2 behaves as a MIDI controller is highly dependent on what mode it is in - as in a) Analog Lab, or b) DAW, or c) User mode.

I managed to get clean knob behavior in Bitwig when I put the Keylab hardware into USER mode and manually map to a Bitwig control. Both with knobs and faders. They move smooth, linear and in sync with their software representation in a Bitwig device, just as desired.

So the other undesired behavior must have something to do with the controller mode and MIDI mapping of the Bitwig scripts. I will figure out those details later, but for now I can get it setup in a way that it would be useful for use in Bitwig.

Thanks guys for pointing me in the right direction!

1 Like

Yes, User Mode. I use it with Spitfire BBC Symphonic Orchestra, to control faders and encoders. Sorry, I forgot this.
KeyLab MKii is incredibly powerful.

Too bad the Midimix doesn’t have that option :sob:

You know, @ClaudioPorcellana , you are funny… on the one hand you question the esoteric form of my unusual PC keyboard, yet challenge why my MIDI controllers look so symmetrical. Maybe I should engage your inner diversity for my aleatoric explorations :wink:

2 Likes

basic rule of guitar (or other instrument) ownership:

“#” of guitars needed = n
then
n = n +1

:slight_smile: