Scaler 2.2 upgrade and always notes stuck in performance mode

I’m a new user but I am getting stuck notes and using the midi panic button frequently in Studio One Pro version 4. Thanks

Same problem in Cubase. Stuck notes and I need to press midi panic to stop them. But they reoccur right after anyway.

Same issue every time performance mode used (for certain performances - see below)
Scaler 2.2 VST
Studio One 5.1.1.61815 Win x64 (Built on Nov 13 2020)

Testing notes:

• Issue occurs with both VST and ScalerAudio as an insert
  • Same stuck note(s) every time
  • DAW panic button will not kill note
  • Scaler panic button will kill note
  • Turning off Performances will kill note
  • Some chords will kill some notes
  • No other VSTs (including scale and chord tools) cause this behavior
  • Stuck note(s) does not pass state onto external instrument (but stays stuck w/in the Scaler UI)
  • Does not occur on all performance modes
  • For example Arpeggio - sticks, Strumming - none, Performances/Accento - sticks, Adagietto - none…

To Replicate:

1. Select a Scaler instrument
  2. Select C maj scale
  3. Turn Performance On => Arpeggio
  4. Click and hold 1st chord for a couple cycles of the pattern and C will stick
  5. Click and hold 2nd chord for a couple cycles and A will stick
  6. Next chord…and so on

Thanks!

FL Studio user here and I have the same problem (Win 10 / latest FL Studio version). Scaler 2.2 produces weird hanging notes that does not follow my chord-progression when in performance mode. I’m talking a simple and perfectly quantized midi chord progression that I can play with any other VST without a problem. When performance mode is off it plays the exact same chord-progression flawlessly btw, so the performance “engine” must have some kind of bug I think.

I really hope you guys can fix this, because the patterns in performance mode are freaking awesome and could be a HUGE help in my productions.

Cheers from Denmark
/Peter

Peter…you’ve probably already found this, but if you use the play mode within Scaler, the notes do not hang. On my systems, the hanging note(s) seem related to the triggering mechanism. If I use an external trigger for Scaler (click a chord with my mouse, hit a key on my keyboard, tap pad on my ATOM, program a midi note in an event) the notes will hang in some performance modes.

However, if I just click the play button w/in Scaler (or in my DAW w/synch turned on), no hanging. I need to program a pattern that I want, but at least I can use the Performance mode to pull some midi. Not an ideal situation, but as we wait on a fix, it might be a workaround you could leverage. One of the upsides, it is a great reason to dig deep in to the coolness of the Pattern Editor. :slight_smile:

Hello, it’s a good compromize, thanks to you !

TMacD yeah im aware of the player inside Scaler and you are right, the internal player does not cause hanging notes. But when I browse the Scaler patterns I want to listen to them along with my mix/DAW. But now i’m using “Chordpotion” instead while I wait for Scaler to fix this bug. That works perfectly and fits my workflow better :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip, it’s a good one that i doesn’t heard of before, now in my collection!
The time the bug will be found, we gonna learn how to not need to use scaler2…sad

Confirmed behavior in Reason Suite 11. Very annoying.

Yeah, happening here too, I’m afraid.

I’ve also experienced occasions (although rarer) where removing the plugin from the channel strip results in a complete crash of Logic (version 10.5.1). I have noticed no particular pattern to this - it’s happened on small projects and big ones with all manner of VSTs.

Look forward to a fix. It’s a wonderful plugin and I’m enjoying the 2.2 upgrade.

Hi there.
I am using 2.2 version (trial) and the same problem here : many notes stuck in pref mode…
The way i “solve” this issue, in my case :
In setting panel , go into expression option and then use (click) latch and chord only (play quantize must be enable).
That way : no more any note stuck, even it’s ok, it’s a latch mode… but to work (for me) it’s better than background note.
I ll wait to read that problem will be fix to buy this nice vst.
Hope that can help anyone.

1 Like

Welcome DrFalco

I believe they worked out the stuck note issues in the current release 2.3.1. In full transparency, I still get a rare one, but for the most part it is a function of running very fast progressions on a old laptop with stock drivers. I’ll certainly try your “solution” if they creep in again. As I can’t play worth a darn, I work pretty much exclusively in Perform mode so stuck notes are always top of mind for me.

FWIW, and if you are on Windows, getting off the Windows sound drivers and going to something like ASIO4All and then tweaking the buffer size made a huge difference for me. If you are new to Scaler, you will likely find it an amazing tool for a broad range of uses and users. I’d buy it again and again…without question!

Thanks again for the tip!

Nope issue is still not solved in 2.3.1, when using single keys it works ok, but playing chords is a nightmare. For me, it’s unusable at the moment

welcome @dutchtaf That’s not right, can you give some more info please? set up, workflow etc…

This is still an issue in Scaler 2.4 and Studio One 5.2. I was able to replicate the bug as shown by TMacD on Jan13. It happens with both VST2 and VST3 on Windows. Note that this issue does not a manifest in any of the other DAWs I have tested including Ableton Live, Bitwig, Cubase 10.5, Reason, Reaper, Cakewalk, Mixcraft, or Waveform.

Hey CJ…hope I can call you that.

Since I live in S1, this is a topic of great interest. I’m very happy with 2.4 after a little tweaking. FWIW, here is my setup and settings:

Dell Insperion Laptop: 6 GB, I3 1.9 GHz…as you can see a screamer… 10 15 years ago.

In Studio One Pro, I have these settings:image

Not sure if this helps, but the LLM (Z) definitely seemed to help with both stuck notes and the slight delay between key press and sound. (Sorry, that is the best description I can muster)

My testing…find the fastest performance mode you can, kick it to x2, find a chord with 5 or 6 notes and then palm the keyboard repeatedly …seriously! If it does not hang a note with that mess…you are probably good.

2 Likes

Thanks TMacD. For some reason, I was using “Windows Audio”. I usually use ASIO for obvious reasons, but I must have been experimenting the other day and switched to Windows Audio to test something out and forgot to switch it back. It is working now using ASIO for audio.

1 Like

ARGH!
This piece of hardware is weaker than mine: unbelievable
:grinning:

I’ll try to see if I have that processing option

1 Like

I’m having this problem since latest update, also using latest updated studio one 5 artist with latest update to scaler 2. Did you find a fix for it or are you still having the problem as well?

I’m having this problem in 2.7. I am unable to use sustain with Scaler as all the notes stick, even in Pass-Through mode. Please help!

Ableton Live 11