Scaler as VST host

LOL, I’m more than 10 years old and yet I had a lot of troubles to understand even the simplest as Ableton Live
and I think I master maybe 1/100 of its possibilities

OK got the point

When you look at the iPad music app ecosystem, that is a good example of how stand alone music apps can be enjoyed, while still having the option (most of the time) to network/route them to other apps, either on iPad or over the network on PC/Mac or even CV converters. Of course there are iPad DAWs, but most musicians I follow, on the performing side, seem to be fine with just individual apps.

Am I hinting at Scaler for iPad? lol - I think Davide spoke to that some time ago… :wink:

1 Like

aha, yes I forgot apples
I am an old-fashioned guy and I consider desktop ecosystems only
ipaddles are new-fangled contraptions good for young people :laughing:
(I’m joking, clearly)

Just to make you feel better… I am also an old-fashioned APPLE FAN BOY :wink:
I was an Apple enthusiast before Macs even existed. And my first mobile Apple device was the Newton. Best hand-writing recognition ever, after 3 months of training, and a new set of batteries every week :wink:

LOL
our paths diverged immediately then
I started with a C64 then switched to IBM

Not that much. The C64 had a 6510 processor, which was compatible with the Apple’s 6502. So I helped my C64 friend code in assembly for the Commodore. The funnest part was using the 1541 floppy processor (also a 6502 CPU) as a parallel coprocessor. Ok, have I dated myself enough now?

Back on topic… 1980s home computers were big part of the music scene… The Epic Commodore C64 SID Collection - 11 hours of C64 Music - YouTube

And listening to my 16 year old, 8 bit music is still going strong.

1 Like

LOL; now I have to find an evidence Scaler is good at Commodore 64 SID Music
:woozy_face:

just catching up on the discussion and I agree with a lot of points from both sides:

• Hosting VST within Scaler is a great feature
  • Scaler as a plugin should not become a DAW of its own and replicate existing features
  • VST hosting is definitely a big unknown in terms of dev/support time, not so much the implementation but the risk that 3rd party plugin not working for whatever reason will make Scaler look bad and we will have to provide support.

I think it makes total sense in a standalone app, maybe in a plugin at some stage but not a priority for now.

Every time we talk about this feature I can’t help but think of the crash reports with Scaler hosting Scaler hosting Scaler or even better… a random VST within Scaler within Maschine within Scaler within Logic Pro. :exploding_head:

…and now, I will always remember that some really wise users advised against it in the first place. :sob: :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the great feedback once again,

Which DAW doesnt support using Scaler to control other VSTis? I haven’t heard of any mainstream DAW that can’t so perhaps you might get help on that front.

Cakewalk by Bandlab is about as full featured as it gets and is free for Windows.

Reaper is only $60 and cross platform compatible.

While Scaler as a DAW might have some merrits, remember a ton of people actually record audio and don’t just live in a virtual instrument world. And it takes about a decade of development to get a mature DAW to the market that has a cross section of functionally and mature workflows. There would need to be a smart way to handoff sessions in a standalone app and the VST versions.

Scaler is amazing but if there is one area for improvement, I’d suggest it is stability. And creating another version basically takes away from some of that development time.

Primarily Rob Hubbard but also Martin Galway and David Whittaker where my first reason for wanting to produce music. As a very young boy the SID chip in the C64 blew me away. I love my Elektron Sidstation which is 4 Sid chips in one instrument. Using scaler to trigger swapping osc waveshapes in the sidstation producers really unique results!

1 Like

I was looking up the SidStation and its history, and how its price went up as the supply of original SID chips supposedly exhausted. Given that whole C64s can be emulated on a PC now, I wonder if one of the virtual analog emulation VSTs, like the Arturia ones for example, could just create a virtual implementation of the SIDStation…

This page
Or this one
gives you some solution

That’s awesome! Grazie Claudio!

di nulla :smiley:

I also find there is a hardware that delivers
that emulation, but I suspect you are more interested to a software

Maybe marking this feature as experimental could be an idea?
Blocking self hosting would be nice :slightly_smiling_face:
btw I purchased scaler second time yesterday even if I had a license ^^

:astonished:
And why, if it’s not a secret?

To support the devs :smile: . I Make heavy use of scaler.

1 Like

aha, it makes a lot of sense indeed
kiKoBBAdT

Yes, already knew that you make “heavy” use of Scaler.

I could tell by your user name as “s-a” = “Scaler - Addict”! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

The question begs, why would I need a hardware “emulation” if I could just play with the real thing. Or are actual original C64s in short supply now? I still have original working Apple // PCs.