Scaler with SquareHeads Nora and Venomode Phrasebox

I use Scaler with SquareHeads Nora to create melody for Modo Bass and other instruments in Reaper.

Nora and Phrasebox get chords from Scaler and allow you to edit notes in piano roll-style editor, but you draw melody for the individual voices of the chord.

In a classic “piano roll” editor, rows are tied to a fixed note value; in Nora rows are the voices of a chord. This allows you to create a melody at a relative value of note pitch.

SquareHeads Nora is a much more advanced tool than Venomade Phrasebox, but unfortunately the development of Nora a few years ago was frozen.

However, the project is not closed, and you can download Nora on the official website -
I hope the development of Nora continues. This is a unique and very useful program.

Phrasebox is a new product and no have some necessary functions.

1. Settings for the keys to switch patterns. Is necessary for live performance.
    Also problem for live play is gap when you switching between patterns.
  2. Inconvenient work with velocity. When you have notes on different rows, controllers overlap each other.
  3. No of Undo & Redo functions. No copy & paste notes between patterns.
  4. The current version 1.04 does not have function drag & drop pattern to DAW.

As such, Phrasebox was useless to me. But if the Phrasebox will be improve and becomes suitable for live performance, then I will think about its use again.

1 Like

I’d need to understand this workflow better, but why can you use Scaler and keys lock. Specifically Chord notes or Chord Extensions. You can even mute the chord so only the melody is being sent to a third party VST

I can’t do all this in Scaler, because I need outputs to different MIDI channels, launch patterns with keys, and editor for patterns.

aha. Of course. Won’t be long :wink:

2 Likes

Please add these functions to scaler, preferably in the way of music classification.

Recently, I tried to use squareheads Nora. This software is simple and easy to use. It’s really great

do you know ChordPotion? it’s great!

I used Nora just before finding Scaler, then I abandoned it with no regrets… so far
:wink:

never loved it so much because it’s electronic-trance-oriented and lacks rocky patterns, yet I was able to produce some jazzy tune I like as this one

but now that I see a possible link between the 2 I’ll rethink to it
if only it’s not too complex as I like playing live
and even when I use editing in Scaler, or everywhere, I love acting by instinct

1 Like

you can in Ableton… i did it… Step up Scaler as normal. Then Load up Nora, or Phasebox… as normal, but let Nora/.Phraze Box listen to Scaler (as if it was a vst instrument, but setting as monitor (same way as Scaler. Load vst, then let the vst listen to Nora… When you play a scale, Nora will listen in to Scaler, then out midi to Vst instrument… I dont know about other DAWS, as i only use Ableon now… I have forgotten how to use Cubase, FL Studio… Something like that anyway…lol

2 Likes

Thanks for this, i need to try this in Logic Pro for sure!

Thanks, Studs1966. I have gotten a demo version of Nora and I find it very good used in conjunction with Scaler. The pity is that they have stopped working on that program. You can’t buy it anymore. Even though I can’t save in midi format, it doesn’t matter, because I can record to the instrument tracks I route it to. But does anyone know how I could get the presets? Thank you

What presets?
There are many embedded and I think to remember they created another one that I bought… and lost
sorry, otherwise I was able to send it to you

BTW here is that extra packet, just in case

Thank you ClaudioPorcellana
I’m going for those presets.
Yesterday I bought ChordPotion. And it’s very good. I put the progression in Scaler and Chordpotion takes the chords from there. Allows you to do a lot of things with solo chords and great fun when Scaler has Perfomances turned on
It costs € 45, but it’s getting me hooked, hehe
You can download a demo version here
ChordPotion MIDI effect plug-in
I think you will like to combine it with Scaler.

Hey! Im trying to get both to work on ableton but havent really figured it out. Mind sharing how you got both (scaler, Nora) to work together on ableton - Heres a link of what Im talking about:

Hope youre having a great week!

I think this site has been hi-jacked… .(by a crypto link?) all three levels
of protection on my machine came up with red flags.

Exercise caution …

1 Like

oh yeah, trying to open this URL on an iPad tried to pop up all kinds of unrelated windows, trying to access my calendar amongst other things. Someone take down that post before someone (s PC) gets hurt…

1 The pages served vary with repeated clicking

2 Internic shows a suspicious ad / spam server at the IP address

3 The site is sending inbound TCP queries to various ports
ip

4 Heaven knows what might be behind the pages asking you you install something

I’ll message @Ed1

Thanks for reporting, I have removed the link from the post.

This is the second time recently where a new forum user posts questionable links. I wonder if the forum platform can be tuned to not let people who literally just joined exploit the forum for spamming/phishing attacks…since the Scaler forum is publically visible and fairly easy to join…