Separate Midi IN and Midi Out Channels on iPad

Hello,

Are there any plans to have separate Midi In and Midi Out channels for iOS version?

I have the VST and bought the iPad version also because I was hoping to use the iOS version in my setup but I am unable to use it how I would have liked because I can’t seem to separate channels and I am getting Midi Feedback loops.

I would like to have a midi keyboard control Scaler (which I can do no problem on its own) and have Scaler send midi to another hardware device (which I can also do no problem on its own). But when trying to do both of these I get the midi feedback loop making the setup unusable.

If I could setup Scaler to receive on say Channel 3 with midi keyboard sending on channel 3 and have Scaler send out on channel 4 with the other device receiving on channel 4 then this would resolve the issue.

Thanks

Welcome @allreddv Multi Midi Out will come but you should be able to achieve what you are trying to do. What’s the keyboard you are connecting? Is it a synth (sound module)? If so have you tried turning ‘Local Control’ off?

Thanks for responding.

I am using a keystep pro sending midi to the iPad via a Mio iConnect. Then the iPad is sending midi to an Akai Force. I am using AUM 3 on the iPad to run Scaler because it allows me to choose the Mio
as the midi source for output. I tried using Scaler on its own but couldn’t get it to work because I couldn’t find an option for it to recognize the MIO as the midi source.

In Scaler, hit the detect button, then midi and there you have midi output (see attached) Also I run my key step via midi not USB as it doesn’t allow midi output mute via USB. Anyways this should get you going:

Awesome, thanks so much, going to give this a try this afternoon and will report back.

I am also sending midi out of Keystep Pro via midi and not USB.

Ok, No Joy, but at least I have figured out why,

Really there are 2 issues. The first issue of not being able to send and receive on different midi channels would still be an issue for me personally but that is secondary to the larger issue I am now aware of,

Scaler doesn’t listen for a specific midi channel coming in, it is listening for all channels 1-16. I didn’t catch this at first because in all my testings I always made sure the midi channel I was sending from the midi controller matched the midi channel selected in Scaler before testing because this is the standard of how midi should work. Scaler does send midi on only the selected midi channel as it should, it is just the incoming that is the issue. I only caught this because I accidentally switched tracks on the Keystep Pro and it was still sending notes to Scaler even though I knew it was set to a different midi channel.

So the problem I was having is that Scaler is receiving all midi sent from all devices regardless of intended destination. Technically I could use a separate dedicated midi controller for only Scaler that is out of the rest of my setup but that doesn’t really work for me especially when syncing to midi clock. If I mute all other tracks on the KeyStep pro I could control Scaler but then I lose access to control 3 other hardware devices, which for me is a bigger problem than just not using Scaler on an iPad.

For now I will just have to stick to using Ableton and Scaler VST when I want to use Scaler. I am sure this was just an oversight in development but hopefully it is one you can fix soon as it is operating outside of standard midi operation. I do have devices that will listen for all midi channels 1-16 but it is something I need to turn on, and I don’t have any devices that always listen for all midi channels and you can’t specify a selected channel.

I still think that the ability to receive and send on different channels would be a great option, but not being able to receive midi on only one specific channel I would almost classify as a bug since I have never used a device or app that doesn’t allow this.

I absolutely love Scaler and recommend it to people all the time and think it is one of the best value apps there is. Hopefully you guys can fix this on the next version.

I appreciate the help and speediness of responses and look forward to seeing the next version,

Cheers

Ok, another post, hahah

My last post is still valid as I think it is something that needs to be fixed and I will leave it up in case someone else is having this issue they can understand what is going on, but I did think of a workaround that works.

After I wrote the post I thought a bit more and since I now knew what was going on and that Scaler was listening for all channels 1-16 I realized I could probably work around it with AUM 3 and it worked.

So if anyone else needs Scaler to only listen on one midi channel and has AUM 3, you can run Scaler in an AUM instance and on the midi in preferences you can set it up to filter out all midi channels except the one you want coming through. I tested it, and it works. You can also do this for multiple instances of Scaler and have each one receiving on different channels,

Persistance pays off :slight_smile:

Cheers

1 Like

Hi! I see you mention you have figured out how to send MIDI from Scaler iOS to your hardware device. Would you mind sharing how you acheived this? I have completed the proper steps and do not see any MIDI messages in Ableton’s MIDI activity monitor when I press chords on Scaler app on the iPad.