The Scaler Forum Band Project

Bolero
From Output Arcade I have made this bolero
In the Arcade track I have placed an Audio Scaler to detect the chords
Then I have made 2 tracks with 2 Scalers. I have placed the chords in 2 Scaler and I have passed them to C
On track 2 is Scaler with the chords and Dynamic (only)
In track 3 I have set up more things to be able to play with the riffs since I send this Scaler to the Sine Player with a trumpet. When the guitar has its solos in Arcade, I leave the trumpet doing the chords in sustain. When there is no guitar solo (or alternating) I change the trumpet to staccato
I leave you the xml file and an example of what I’m doing
I hope you like it

bolero.xml (26.7 KB)

2 Likes

It is beautiful, I like it!

what is Arcade?

BTW I was unable so far to use the BBC plugin because I don’t know how to feed the various instruments that have all different playable keys, and to alternate sustain, staccato, pizzicato etc, but I’ll succeed a day or another
:smile:

Beautiful. I love boleros, both as music and as dance form :heart:

After listening bolero by @jjfagot I feel a bit shy but, well, here goes expansion of my cheesy tune.
Exported audio version is available at Bernd’s Kompoz profile. All instruments are Scaler internal as sugested by @Bernd and @TMacD.

Setup is a pattern with bunch of Scalers and one stock drum loop. :laughing:

In creating pattern, I used:

• one Scaler serving as idea generator for initial progression

• one Scaler for playing Bass (Bass Guitar)

Uses midi with triads generated from “Ideas” Scaler.
SFB - Attempt 02 - Triads.mid (1.1 KB)
Perform > Bass > House 4. All bindings OFF

• one Scaler for playing Piano (Grand Piano)

Uses same midi with triads as Bass.
Perform > Rhythms > Fantasia. All bindings OFF

• one Scaler for playing Pad (Substantial)

Uses same midi with triads as Bass.
Perform > OFF. All bindings OFF

• one Scaler for playing Lead/Melody (Super Saw)

Uses freehand recorded midi.
SFB - Attempt 02 - Lead.mid (942 Bytes)
Perform > OFF. All bindings OFF

So, it’s as “Use Scaler Only” as I possibly can :laughing: but, to be honest, doing so is pain in the neck for me as resulting sound using internal instruments is so-so.

1 Like

Wow! Taking the sound in a whole new direction! Danceable now :slight_smile:
I see you’re using FL Studio. I have that too, if you want to exchang project files.
I hear you on the limits of Scaler internal sounds. And part of the idea was to uncover those opportunities for improvement (I still say instead of having Scaler more sounds out of the box, it might be useful to offer an easy mechanism to add additional samples/sounds as user).

I can see how it is a pain to manage the arrangement in Scaler patterns. Clearly not the initial intended use case for Scaler :wink: But I also see this as an artistic feat, to make something work with very little, just like amazing programs have been created on these oh-so-limited 8bit computers in the 1980s :slight_smile:

As a musical newbie, I am still amazed how one can take a basic melody into so many different stylistic directions. Next we need a grunge or metal version of the same theme :wink:

2 Likes

Cool! I can send you the FLP file and stems (well, one stem now :wink: ) Can not do it using Kompoz though - they’re limiting file formats that are allowed. Would have to be “old-fashioned” email :laughing: .

It’s quite all right - number of chord slots is limited but it doesn’t bother me that much. Super annoying though is switching patterns using green keys. Sooo random.

When swithing at the end of pattern, I would expect going to the beginning of next pattern like so:

Instead, very often (not always) it happens that it behaves this way:

That’s the only complain I have :slight_smile:

I know! So much fun :laughing:

That is indeed odd, the way the pattern progresses in the next line. I wonder if this intended behavior, @Ed1 ?

For the sharing of the FL Studio project files, do you want to try putting it into a Google Drive folder? See if this works for you…https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1BDMXNidpNj2MqTACwt66ftWht89eiZVV?usp=sharing

I’m such a donkey - google drive - of corse :rofl: Done. :slight_smile:

Worked beautifully, I can play it in FL now, thanks! Except not having OTT, but that’s just a compressor I can substitute. Do you usually focus on making EDM? Looks like OTT is a prefered tool there.

ALL: Maybe we can do a quick survey who has what DAW. I got Ableton, FL Studio, Bitwig and Maschine, so I can convert into different DAWs if beneficial, so for folks’ convenience we could put it into each format available. This would also showcase the different DAWs Scaler works well with.

It’s a multi band compressor so it’s very useful in the mid & high end range. I like it and its free :slight_smile:

Last installment of cheesy tune :slight_smile: Audio preview at Kompoz

• got chopped into manageable chunks for rudimental arrangement

• had to change one chord to avoid sounding too much like “Get Lucky” :laughing:

• change of bass rhythm

• change of piano rhythm

• changed Saw lead into Sine (not really needed anymore)

• added synth lead pretending to be vocal (stock preset) :slight_smile:

Final thoughts:
Scaler is awesome! :heart:
Syncing instances of Scaler is an absolute blessing - rhythm changes get applied instantly in all needed places. Love it.
Unless I did something wrong, Perform > Bass is generated in an octave waaay to low (it makes whales sing :rofl:). Had to move triads one octave up - then I was able to hear various bass performances.
Switching patterns with green keys is a bit quirky (as explained in previous post).
It would be absolutely awesome if Scaler allowed to live-switch/automation-switch Rhythms and Multipiers using midi-learn.
Midi Learn
It was the only thing I was itching to have - so many fun possibilities are sitting here.

2 Likes

Thanks @lelek! Keeps getting better and better, good work! I learn a lot from you.

1 Like

Scaler and RapidComposer together in the development of a lelek melody (from the Scaler Band forum)
I bought RapidComposer before Scaler. I love the 2 programs, and this is the first attempt to use them together. From the Atempt1 of lelek

1 Like

Majestic! Love the change of mood going from intro to main. I’ve made a mental bookmark to how you used harp in the intro to widen the scene and give the feeling of uncertainty. Sooo sweet! And then, boom!, the main part is so strong and focused (with a little tickle from harp arpeggio).
Yesterday, I couldn’t stand the tune anymore (got tired of it) - now, I like it again :rofl:

1 Like

I love it! Now we have a cinematic interpretation as well (do I hear Hans Zimmer singing there in the background? :wink: ) Amazing diversity how much can be done with a melody in different styles.

1 Like

I love any collaborative idea, and I cherished the idea of a collaborative work after @carlosbiab added his guitar to a song of mine, but the particular kind of collaboration set here is too complex to me, so sorry if I don’t follow you in practice (only reading sometimes)

I know what you mean. Turned out to be more of sharing and mutual influence setting. But having said that, I absolutely love it :heart:.
@Bernd, with his work, convinced me to go the EDM path (not my comfort zone :rofl:). Currently working on bolero progression from @jjfagot to make it a cha-cha (definitely nooooot my comfort zone :rofl:).
Don’t know for the others but I’m having so much fun :boom: