The Sound of Silence ...Keyswitches with midi in LPX

I created a midi region and midi notes to correspond to Keyswitch 1 and 2.
As I play the chord progression, the Keyswitches change as expected, but there is just silence when it switches to Keyswitch 2.
Any ideas, please?

Hi Alfie, not sure which mode you are in, can you be more specific so we can follow your steps and try to help you?

Hi Davide, and thanks for the prompt reply!

I’ve only been exploring Scaler for a few weeks but finding new things every time.

I like to strip things back when learning something new and work on simple steps to understand the basics.

I watched your Modulation video and found it excellent as a non-musician.

There was a part where you mentioned setting the Keyswitches, and it looks like you do this within Logic. Now, in the Pad section, I wanted to play all the parts, pattern 1, pattern 2 etc, one after another, by using a trigger track in Logic.

I created a second Scaler midi track and drew in the notes C1 and D1 to correspond with the Keyswitches. Then synced both Scaler tracks and played, but it didn’t work. After the first section/pattern played, the remainder of the piece was silent.

I hope this makes a bit more sense.

I tried to upload a short clip, but not able to here. Sent a image that may help.

Many thanks

Hi Jamieh

Thanks for information:

I can see the problem straight away. You have 2 key switches set to switch patterns. You only have one pattern selected. Lasso around both patterns then they will play one after the other and will be selectable.

I selected the two patterns as suggested and then both patterns played one after the other, so that’s good.

However, the trigger track I setup in LPX didn’t have any impact on this. Can I use a trigger track to trigger the patterns as I wish?

I noticed that when I selected all the patterns, the lock keys had all moved one position left, so from C, D, E… to B, C, D?

When I found how to unselect the patterns;

( maybe, Right Click > Select All Patterns option?)

I noted that the Lock Keys did not return to the previous setting.

Is there a way to move the Lock Keys independently of the green Key Switch/Pattern Keys?

Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Are you a member of the team. I ask as I just noticed you deleted the post?

Yes you can use a trigger track to trigger the patterns as you wish.

Are you saying you want the gray keys you move to different keys? You can do that in preferences.
You can move the gray keys up or down by semi-tones to where you want them and also cahnge from all white keys to black and white keys or true scale.
Screen Shot 2022-10-28 at 10.04.44 AM

I am not a team member. Any member can delete their own posts. I was thinking I may have been incorrect in what you were asking. But it looks like I may have been partially correct?

1 Like

Hi Jamie

I did find this setting in preferences last night as I was stumbling around trying to work it out, but it is good to have you confirm it.

You seem to have a good knowledge of Scaler, so I expect you’ve been using it for a while and have gone through the working-out process I’m going through now.

You said:

Yes you can use a trigger track to trigger the patterns as you wish.

Could you please tell me how I get the midi in the DAW to trigger the patterns?

My goal:
1 Create the parts, intro, verse, chorus, bridge, etc, as patterns in Scaler
2 Build the song’s structure in a DAW using a trigger track to trigger those parts.
3 When basic structure complete, drag to DAW and build the body of the song.

There is a tutorial here on using midi clips to trigger Scaler, which includes a link to @davide’s excellent tutorial videos. It may also be worth you checking out the Scaler2 channel on YouYube.

Here is a short clip which may clarify my problem.

https://youtu.be/eupx4jJGESQ

You will see that in Logic, I have 16 Bars made up of Verse 1, Chorus, Verse 2 and Chorus again.

I have a midi note on the Scaler track that plays for each part—this corresponds to the Key Switches C1 and D2 in Scaler. I want the midi track to repeat the Verse and Chorus in the final 8 Bars.

When I play the sequence the Pattern 1, the Verse plays. When it moves to the Chorus, Switch Key D1 is selected in Scaler, but the pattern is not played.

If I select both the Verse and Chorus Patterns, as suggested by Jamie, they will play one after the other, but the midi track does not control them. Scaler plays these patterns independently of Logic.

Question:

Scaler receives midi information from Logic/Daw, so why is it not triggering the corresponding Key Switches?

What am I missing?

Here is a short clip which may clarify my problem.

You will see that in Logic, I have 16 Bars made up of Verse 1, Chorus, Verse 2 and Chorus again.

I have a midi note on the Scaler track that plays for each part—this corresponds to the Key Switches C1 and D2 in Scaler. I want the midi track to repeat the Verse and Chorus in the final 8 Bars.

When I play the sequence the Pattern 1, the Verse plays. When it moves to the Chorus, Switch Key D1 is selected in Scaler, but the pattern is not played.

If I select both the Verse and Chorus Patterns, as suggested by Jamie, they will play one after the other, but the midi track does not control them. Scaler plays these patterns independently of Logic.

Question:

Scaler receives midi information from Logic/Daw, so why is it not triggering the corresponding Key Switches?

What am I missing?

The key switching appears to be working so I am wondering if the issue is with the midi triggering the blocks.

So can you

1. export the scaler state and upload it, and
  2. upload the midi clip, please?

I will then try to recreate the issue on my installation.

PS what is your OS version?

PPS try using this midi file and see if it works:
midi bind 4 blocks 2 patterns.mid (134 Bytes)

HI Ed and thanks for prompt reply.

Apple M1 Pro. Mac OS 12.6

Project.mid (205 Bytes)

Can’t upload Aupreset or Zip file.

I tried your midi file. The notes C1 and D1 triggered the correct pattern in Scaler, and the notes corresponding to the Lock Keys triggered the chords as you’d expect.
But if I remove those top notes, it doesn’t work. This seems to defeat the objective of simply playing the selected pattern by having the incoming midi notes from C1 and D1 initiate the Key Switches, associated to each pattern, and play the related chord progression.

There must be a simple answer.

Just to clarify my understanding of how binding to midi works; there are two parts to this :-

1. selecting a pattern to be triggered, and
  2. triggering blocks in the selected pattern.

The notes C1 to B2 do not trigger the pattern, they select the pattern which contains blocks to be triggered. The blocks in the selected pattern are triggered by the notes in the range C2 to B3.

Hence removing the top notes from the midi clip wiill result in the blocks not being triggered. I belive you need both parts of the midi clip to play Scaler 2.

1 Like