Which Daw do you use?

Okay cool. I never knew anything about that. Don’t know much about guitars other than I love the sound. i must get a real one sometime soon. I have plenty of guitar plugins but I am guitar ignorant. Love the sound of the one in that video!

Hi Everyone
New to the forum
As a hobbyist I have used a few Daw’s in the past.More recently its been FL Studio 20
And only last year I started to use Studio One 5 Pro, as I like a challenge ha,ha
Both suit me and each has its own unique set of tools which help me create my ambient styles of music
And no Im not going to be drawn into the so called Daw wars,ha,ha

I use Cakewalk Platinum just because I have had that DAW series for well over 20 years as it was one of the earlier DAWs available on PC. Shame it disbanded and is now free via Bandlab. Not sure how well they are improving it. I did not get their version as I understand it was stripped down a bit. Yes, I suspect Platinum is overly complicated but it is rather powerful. I am not sure what else I would turn to as I should think most have steep learning curves.

LOL, same DAW sequence of events. Had very early Cakewalk and Cool Edit and SoundQuest Midi Librarian. Is Live worth moving to from Cakewalk Platinum?

“I did not get their version as I understand it was stripped down a bit.”
Most of the things in Platinum still work in the Bandlab version e.g Melodyne, Pro Channel, TH3, TTS, all the Sonitus DX plugins. - so 149 in all because it detects all the VST3s and the VST2s used by LIve.

The main rationale of moving to the the Bandlab version is that they update it quite frequently.

I think the decision between Cakewalk and Live would probably be driven by your chosen musical genre. Metronomic trance and ambient stuff is handled well by Live’s philosophy, but I suspect Cakewalk is better for Jazz, orchestral etc.

I do sometimes use it for things where it is better than Live ; for example, Live doesn’t handle multi-channel midi input and Cakewalk does. CAL, the programming language, is sometimes handy for midi processing. Live doesn’t have a staff view, or handle Sysex, screen-sets, programable UI, On balance, I think it probably has more broad based functions as one would expect from its age.

I still use Cool Edit (now Adobe Audition) some wave editing. I still have SoundQuest loaded (it now has a VST) and I use it for my remaining hardware (Line 6 PoD XT Pro, and a Roland JD800 synth)

Now the product is being maintained IMHO it’s questionable whether it’s worth the learning curve to change, unless you do slots as a DJ or perform D and B live…

Here’s Scaler loaded

Thanks for your thoughtful response. It helped me realize that live probably does not fit as well for me as I tend to do classical and new age influenced compositions

I use Cubase. Each instance of Scaler needs 2 track there, one for Scaler and one for the instrument that outputs sound. I’ve also used Scaler’s sounds for sketching an arrangement, so that it uses one track only, before committing to a more deep sampling in a later stage of the mix. 2 tracks discourage having many instances and the syncing feature, yet it has the advantage that we may put the target track into record mode while Scaler plays and have midi printed in that track straightforward (no need of waiting for midi capture).

1 Like

I use reason 12, studio one pro5 ,mpc software, maschine mikro,mixbus 7 ,cunase le 10 et abmeton live !! For all my video tutorial

1 Like

Ah, of Scaler Artist fame , I presume !

I like progressions 7, 9 and 11 best of your interesting sequences. . E Lydian (no 7) is the favourite mode of axe maestro Steve Vai.

1 Like

StudioOne Professional

Started using ProTools when it was first released in the early 90s and stuck with it for years. Switched to StudioOne Pro when it became available and never looked back.

PreSonus does a very good job of integrating the most commonly requested features in each new version.

1 Like

Sonar/Cakewalk user for 25 years. ever since it was made available on the PC. Nothing really to compare it to since I figured the learning curve for any other DAW was simply not worth it. I also use Notion as a Notation package/Daw as well.

Hi there!
I am using Reason for almost 15 years.
I like it very much because it was (more or less) easy to learn to use it.
The GUI and workflow are very intuitive.
You can start the song from the drum pattern, or the bass line, or the Chord Progression, or the Melody, or some Riff.
You build it in the Sequencer window (first to appear at the beginning) through Midi clips that you add sequentially and/or in layers (other instruments).
There are plenty of instruments free added, including the very useful Players that help you a lot with Chords, midi sequences. arpeggiation, etc.
Unfortunately, you can only use Scaler with its native instruments, although after you came up with the chords structure (progression), you can place this midi clip in any instrument you want.
I’ve already taken a look at some free forms of DAW like Reaper, Ableton, and Studio One.
I’ve liked the most of Studio One and thought it was very intuitive.
I didn’t like Reaper or Ableton, because I find them difficult to learn for a beginner.
I think I could use Studio One for alternative fun, but for us, at Brasil it’s very expensive.

1 Like

I like Brazilian football. Ronaldinho is my idol

Hi Swingmix, I like football too and also think Ronaldinho was a very skilled and very good player, but he could be better if he was a little bit more focused and professional. He could be similar to Messi.
I also like the other Brasilian Ronaldo (the fat one).
A great attacking player. Very speedy, very dribble skilled, and a great finalizer.
But I’m from the generation who saw Pelé playing and then I think he was the best.

2 Likes

totally agree.

If I get the chance, I’ll put a football in your crotch. :joy:

this is very funny for Ableton Live :astonished: :thinking: :crazy_face: :rofl:

actually, I tried all the demos available, and Ableton was the only DAW that let me produce some sound from the beginning

This is the evidence that the YMMV motto is true, and testing everything by ourselves is always the best practice

cheers

Agree!
Nothing better than testing for yourself for some time (weeks maybe) to make a good choice.

1 Like

Why can’t 45 to 54 Year olds have a go?

Also before you submit this to any university check your grammar as mistakes like the one in this sentence ‘What are your other DAW’s of choice’ may not go down well with any admissions staff and harm your application.

I’ve had a look through the survey, and have a couple of (entirely personal) observations which may or may not be of use. Don’t take this as a negative comment, but just giving some thoughts which might help your survey and the investigation.

1 A lot of posters to this board use Studio One, which is very popular; and maybe more so than Pro Tools, which is possibly addressing a somewhat different audience. I’d maybe tend to replace PT by Studio, rather than leaving the latter as an ‘other’ choice.
There are also quite a number of Bitwig and FL Studio users.

2 However, you can do some research on this board yourself using the ‘search’ option. So since 01.06.21 there have been 50+ posts mentioning Studio One and 4 mentioning Pro Tools. Take what you will from that, but the ratio is likely to be reflected in any answers. You can do the same for genre; 0 hits for ‘jungle’ and ‘hip-hop’, but 24 for ‘film’ and 17 for ‘cinema’ (which don’t appear).
Bear in mind however, that stats from these boards are biased samples, but you are accepting that anyway in doing the survey here.

3 The genre list is quite specific in some cases (‘jungle’ ??? I am one of the geriatrics so am not familiar with that :grinning:), others are dramatically broader (‘pop’) . Further, there are some obvious missing genres, which cover many of the professional musicians visiting here, for example ‘cinematic’ - surely a genre in its own right, Ambient and electronica are also somewhat obvious by their absence.
However, the big hole is ‘classical’. The posters are not all head bangers :grinning:

4 A priori, I’d imagine that there are some likely factors affecting choice, as reflected by your questions. However, a Mac user would not be using a PC only DAW (ignoring Rosetta for a moment). So the DAW choice may have an ‘upstream’, prior, determinant, which is the Mac / not Mac hardware choice, which might be driven by cost, or more probably, the nature of DAW use. It’s more likely to be at the professional rather than hobbyist end of the users with a Mac.
So as with all statistical analyses, it tends to be more complex that at first glance one might think. Where you have a set of responses which are presented as having equal validity, these responses do in fact have disjoint sub-sets i.e. if you are a Mac or PC user, not all alternatives are available, and a question with the word ‘prefer’ in is not wholly valid.

5 The choice also maybe be critically dependent on where the user sits in the music production cycle - not mentioned in the survey, So, at the sharp end, someone in EDM (professional or amateur) might favour Live or Bitwig, but in post-production or in mastering, some different product would be chosen. Which is the better DAW ? It’s horses for courses. So again, DAW choice, or more particularly , the appropriate sub-set of likely DAWs, is dependent on another factor than those presented.

6 Finally, I think the most important element is - you <<<< What are your career plans ? Do you aspire to be writing film scores, lift music or Ibiza hits ? composing or mastering ? You choice should be driven IMHO by that, and you can get the relevant DAW info from their web sites; by and large, all the products you have named are excellent applications.

I hope these comments help, which is their intent.

3 Likes

question marks are always lacking…
I suspect a non standard font problem

anyway, what replying here:
“Why would the genre influence your DAW choice”

when on the previous item "Does the genre of music influence the DAW you use. " I said NO?
:grin: