Which Daw do you use?

Here is a little bit of trivia for you older folks that is not too far off the topic.

In the early days of personal computers there was a program caller WinAmp. It was the most popular free audio player for years. (you younger folks think of it as the grandfather of VLC media player.)

Anyway, the person who developed/programmed WinAmp is the same person who developed/programmed Reaper.

2 Likes

Winamp!
What a beautiful player, I loved it :heart_eyes:
I started with Winamp 5
And, if I am not wrong, it also allowed to listen the 1st internet radios through Shoutcast

About Reaper instead, I never loved it: too much complex to me

Well, I certainly quality as ‘older folk’, as one of the most geriatric (if not the most geriatric) poster here, and yes I used to use Winamp. I did not know the author of that was instrumental in the Reaper development… Looking him up on Wikipedia, I see he also developed Gnutella, which I also used.

BTW, I did contemplate getting a midi pickup for my axe, but decided to try Jam Origin’s ‘audio to midi’ product… I haven’t gotten into it in any depth, but it seems to work quite well.
https://www.jamorigin.com/

OK, I am probably next most geriatric dude here :rofl:
Winamp, Gnutella, they are very familiar to me.Reaper - my favorite DAW.

or Nutella maybe?
:grin: :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, I liked Nutella a lot, but when I put a lot of weight some 15+ years ago, I cut in Nutella and many other things. Before, I ate it with a tablespoon several times a day :rofl:

1 Like

I left my chocolate bars in the car in the drive through the desert in Nevada…when I came back to the car, I had lots of Nutella “bars” as well :wink:

2 Likes

At least, ddi you have a spoon? :grin:

This spoon maybe?
:grin: :rofl: :spoon:

Do I even dare consider clicking on this possibly NSFW link? :wink:

On my MacBook Air with M1, I primarily use Bitwig Studio. Now, with version 4.2, we have the Note Grid, which is a nice complement to Scaler (and, in some cases, a replacement).

While it has some similarities with Live (a few of the original Bitwig devs came from Ableton), it stands out as a young DAW with a relatively quick development pace. It doesn’t have to bother with legacy code and the team can move through their roadmap. Interestingly enough, it lacks some features that people might take for granted (an easy way to join notes, for instance; it does have a shortcut to join clips). At the same time, several of the features that BWS users take for granted are unavailable elsewhere (like deep audio-rate modulation everywhere).

Like @Bernd, on iPadOS, I much prefer running AUv3 plugins in the AUM plugin host than in a DAW. It’s such a nice “workflow”. Very different from DAWing! With a bunch of MIDI plugins like Tonality and Suggester, playing with chords and scales is really enjoyable. I find it more playful than using Scaler in a DAW. A bit hard to explain without experimenting with it.

1 Like

I’ve used and taught everything major since '97 except for Studio One and Bitwig. Mostly because around 2007 I became an Ableton Live fanboy, after having used it from version 3. I found Reaper in 2009 and added it to my fanboy list.

Now that I’m doing film scoring and post-production sound for film I’m more and more reliant on Reaper. Larger learning curve but oh man once you understand it it’s truly limitless. I use A TON of custom macros to mix films and write music. Reaper is the only one that could handle my use case now :rofl:

Sometimes I used Cubase and Reaper. Then I bought a Mac and Logic Pro X and life got easier with that app.

according to this website Avid Pro Tools is the most used int the past 10 years

Professional studios yes. Mainly for 2 reasons though:

• They’ve been using it forever, and all the engineers know the keyboard shortcuts and couldn’t imagine having to relearn something
  • other professional applications like video editing software etc provide dedicated exports and interoperability for Pro tools.

I know you’re not calling Pro tools the best though. It’s just “accepted as professional”. Any one of the DAW’s mentioned could handle pro use, but generally if you want to work in a professional studio you’ll be forced to use Pro tools.

1 Like

Im using Luna. Its an absolute joy. By far the easiest DAW for capturing outboard gear. And it sounds absolutely amazing (especially when using the Neve summing). The Warp features sound a million times better than Abletons. It doesnt have every feature but Luna with some UAD plugs and a fab filter bundle,and Serato Sample is all i need

Studio One Pro all the way here 10+ years now.

Cheers

SonicMojo

i think that pro x it’s better but i won’t dismiss the other option

The turbo of your car seems a good option as well
:grin:

Studio 1 for me, been at it a couple of years now. All I do is midi - no recording. I used Reason a LONG time ago (vers 3, I think) and made some godawful pieces with it. I just got back into audio production a couple of years ago, started with the free version of Studio 1 and finally gave in to the subscription model.

And while maybe not the most senior member here, I was also an avid and devoted Winamp user. I had heard a few years ago that they were going to bring it back, but if they had, I must have missed it. I’d download it again in a second.

1 Like